TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spots on outside of glass

Coming from southern California, could it have got a dusting of fire retardant? I don't what its makeup is, but it is reddish brown in color.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I've tried everything I can think of. I found a ton of suggestions with a google search. i have one spot about 4" in diameter clean, 4 hours later. I used Barkeeper's Friend and 0000 steel wool. I am thinking it was more the acid in the product and less the steel wool, but I am unsure. Now that I have something that works, I think I can take care of a side window in about 90 minutes. Good grief.
    Since you didn't mention CLR here, I'll repeat Baubau's suggestion...

CLR = Calcium, lime, rust... and it'll work pretty good if that's what the haze is.. I don't know what kind of acid is in there, but it's effective.

"Barkeeper's Friend" is based on Oxalic acid, but there's only a little bit in there.

If Oxalic acid is effective, then you can get a stronger version at any hardware store. Just look for "Wood Bleach". I never tried it on glass, but it works real good for getting dark streaks out of wood (tannins). Good luck!

Thanks for the replies... Good old hand rubbing and buffing is doing a nice job on the paint. This weekend, for the first time, I was able to pull it out of the garage and into the sun and the panels that I have done look fantastic. The panels that are not done clearly have some sort of coating on them. This is not just neglected paint. And yes, it turns rags / pads red or brownish red. But once it's gone, rags stay clean. I've just never seen anything like this before.
    Still working on the glass, it's going to be a long process.
    Mike

Default Good...

Quote Originally Posted by alladd00 View Post
    Coming from southern California, could it have got a dusting of fire retardant? I don't what its makeup is, but it is reddish brown in color.
    You know, that's a good point in this situation as well as good to know for many others.

Nice catch!

Henry