TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Single stage paint or weird Southern California grime?

Default Single stage paint or weird Southern California grime?

I bought a 2004 Grand Cherokee directly from southern California, inferno red is the color. I am buffing it out, it is looking fantastic. The pad is turning red! I see no evidence of a repaint. Is this thing single stage from the factory, or does southern California have some sort of weird acid rain that is red?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I bought a 2004 Grand Cherokee directly from southern California, inferno red is the color. I am buffing it out, it is looking fantastic. The pad is turning red! I see no evidence of a repaint. Is this thing single stage from the factory, or does southern California have some sort of weird acid rain that is red?
    If you're getting a red pad then it's a single stage paint. Be careful on the edges of the panels and on the peaks so that you don't buff through. Red single stage can have a tendency to be a soft paint and it could be easy to go through to the primer. When buffing close to the edge of a panel or a peak the rotation of the buffer should be along or off the the panel or peak.

Using a random orbital porter cable, to be gentle... were these Jeeps single stage when new? Thanks for the advice! I will be careful!
    Mike

Using a random orbital porter cable, to be gentle... were these Jeeps single stage when new? Thanks for the advice! I will be careful!
    It probably was produced as a single stage job. Can you tell if it was repainted?

I see nothing to indicate a repaint, nothing at all. That's why I asked if there was some sort of environmental fallout in so cal that would looke red. After buffing, a cleaner-polish does not turn red.
    Mike

Default I've known these...

Known these to be actually a 3 stage pearl coat. This is one that DuPont would mix as a 2 stage if you needed paint. Here is a link to that color and others offered on that model and they were clear coated:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/colors.htm

I might try a light sanding of an inch using paper on a finger in the hinge side of a rear door jamb and only sand enough to see if you get white (clear) or red (color) on the paper. " Inferno Red Tinted Pearl Coat "

Henry

I have an unopened pint of factory pac DuPont Inferno Red. It was a dead-on match for a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country. No, it most definitely was not a single stage. However this one was not a tri-coat either.

On a side note, I have an unopened pint because some DuPont colors are notorious for not covering. So I ordered a quart (2 pints). This stuff covered like black ink...it was awesome....and a great match to boot!

Now that I think about it. Seems I remember something like if I had that color mixed, it had to be a tri-coat...However by ordering a Fac-pac, It could be two stage...something about special tints or something...

SamG

It seems to be a layer of gunk, once I get it clean and smooth the rag or pad does not become colored. I dont know why it appears red? I have hand buffed sections all over the jeep, it all comes clean. The roof is faded, one small spot is surely through the clear, but the rest of the roof will buff out. Is this all just dead clear due to 13 years of sun?
    Mike

Maybe the previous owner used one of those colored wax products they sell to uninformed persons to wax their cars. I know those come in black and red colors - not sure about others.

Hmmm.. Interesting thought. Either way, except for the roof, it is coming off and looking great!
    Mike