TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Need experience to get this blend right 71 Cuda

Default Need experience to get this blend right 71 Cuda

First, I really respect everyone on this site for there experience and knowledge and the willingness to share with us. I bought this 71 Cuda and the paint is pretty nice on it. I want to change the hood to a shaker hood. The problem is that the no ones knows what the color is on the car. I want to change the hood and repaint to match. Also there a few minor dents on the tops of the fender I will look to fix. Also the grill needs to be repainted because the last guy forgot to fix the cracks. What would be the best way to approach this job? I am willing to listen and will post pictures as I go through the process. Please share anything that will help me. I have experience with body work and painting but never did a blend before. In the past,I have tried to get the paint to match and have failed by just painting the panel. I know I can get the color close with camera but it is never perfect so i thought blending into the fender may solve the problem.

Dents on top of fenders are very slight like from someone elbows. I could easily fix them but was worried about far it would go into the red which might affect blend area.

I bought ppg base ralley red (FE5) which might be the exact color which I can spray out and test.

Thanks Ken
    IMG_1461.jpg

I would suggest, like already mentioned, thst you visit several paint selling shops , which sell different type of paint and let them scan it wtih camera and see whsr colors they come up with....for exs.ple, one shop thst sells ppg. Otber axalta/dupont. ....even obe more....they will have chips, compare them to the car color and see what happens....you will have some idea then...more paint chips more chsnces of locsting best color chip

Once color is chosen, then if repair work is contained only to hood snd top of the fender and not sides of fender,blend csn be less noticsble sincr color going to the door csn be "contained" furtheyr away from doors...

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    I would suggest, like already mentioned, thst you visit several paint selling shops , which sell different type of paint and let them scan it wtih camera and see whsr colors they come up with....for exs.ple, one shop thst sells ppg. Otber axalta/dupont. ....even obe more....they will have chips, compare them to the car color and see what happens....you will have some idea then...more paint chips more chsnces of locsting best color chip

Once color is chosen, then if repair work is contained only to hood snd top of the fender and not sides of fender,blend csn be less noticsble sincr color going to the door csn be "contained" furtheyr away from doors...
    How close does the paint have to match? Is it possible to get a 100% match? Once I get the match what would be my next step for doing the blending process?For example, I'm sure how far to scuff into fender or front header. I never blended before so its my first time. I'm using a Sagola 4600 gun.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by convertcuda View Post
    How close does the paint have to match? Is it possible to get a 100% match? Once I get the match what would be my next step for doing the blending process?For example, I'm sure how far to scuff into fender or front header. I never blended before so its my first time. I'm using a Sagola 4600 gun.

Ken
    It's possible to get a perfect match but it's safer to just blend the color. I normally prep the surface by sanding over the repair area with 600 grit then extend the sanded area with 1200 or 1500 where I'll be blending.

Spray the repair area with color until coverage is achieved then over-reduce the paint so that it's more translucent and extend the painted area. You may need to reduce further and extend the blend area even more. If it's a clear coat job I'd recommend clearing the entire panel(s) so that you don't need to blend the clear. If you are going to clear the entire panel make sure you prep it properly.

If you purchased the 4600 from me then send me a private message with your name and address and I'll send you the Spray Painting 101 DVD no charge.

if i was going to paint a new hood i would prep fenders with 800, cowl and nose and paint all those surfaces along with the new hood.

Default Re Post...

I am reposting what I said to you in the early morning hours and see you started a new thread....GOOD!

"repost: (Next time make a new thread for your car) I say that mainly so it would get its own attention and not be buried at the bottom of another thread.

Anyway, yours is a classic and looks very good from what we can see. Need to ask if you have experience in doing this work and we can branch out from there.

As far as your color, if I needed to know, I would take a part of the car (or drive the car itself) to the paint shop I use and ask them to 'camera' your actual color. They would then depending on their software of camera, paint and computer find closest matches. If you can't drive the car there, then take a piece to them. All I can think of on that car 'might' be the gas cap. Not sure if the paint on your cap is identical to the paint on the rest of the car but polish it up, check it on the hood for a match and although it's small, ask if they can camera the piece. Once you have what the shop and you feel is the same color you'll need to do a couple 'spray outs' then match those with the existing paint on the car.

For the dents, if the paint is not broken, you can ask around for PDR people. They are professionals who use specific tools to work dents back out without painting them. The process is called Painless Dent Removal and they are mainly Mobile workers since much of their work is done at car new car dealers (and that's a place you may see such a person in the back yard or ask inside). I can't say what the outcome would be since your car has a different metal than newer cars whereby the metal stretches differently. Still worth a try.

Listen, unless they're big obnoxious dents you may just want to live with them. The alternative is sand, grind, pull the dent apply some filler then primer and worst is have to blend into adjoining areas. Why not post a couple pics of the damage you're talking about.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I am reposting what I said to you in the early morning hours and see you started a new thread....GOOD!

"repost: (Next time make a new thread for your car) I say that mainly so it would get its own attention and not be buried at the bottom of another thread.

Anyway, yours is a classic and looks very good from what we can see. Need to ask if you have experience in doing this work and we can branch out from there.

As far as your color, if I needed to know, I would take a part of the car (or drive the car itself) to the paint shop I use and ask them to 'camera' your actual color. They would then depending on their software of camera, paint and computer find closest matches. If you can't drive the car there, then take a piece to them. All I can think of on that car 'might' be the gas cap. Not sure if the paint on your cap is identical to the paint on the rest of the car but polish it up, check it on the hood for a match and although it's small, ask if they can camera the piece. Once you have what the shop and you feel is the same color you'll need to do a couple 'spray outs' then match those with the existing paint on the car.

For the dents, if the paint is not broken, you can ask around for PDR people. They are professionals who use specific tools to work dents back out without painting them. The process is called Painless Dent Removal and they are mainly Mobile workers since much of their work is done at car new car dealers (and that's a place you may see such a person in the back yard or ask inside). I can't say what the outcome would be since your car has a different metal than newer cars whereby the metal stretches differently. Still worth a try.

Listen, unless they're big obnoxious dents you may just want to live with them. The alternative is sand, grind, pull the dent apply some filler then primer and worst is have to blend into adjoining areas. Why not post a couple pics of the damage you're talking about.

Henry
    Thanks Henry for the tip and others that have joined in. Yes, Len I bought the Sagola from you and it sprays like no other gun I have sprayed with it. I will add more on the gun later. At this point, I will get the paint sample done and return to this post before I start working on the blend. This may take awhile.

Thanks Ken