TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Safe breathing set up

Default Safe breathing set up

Hi all, I found this forum when trying to research a similar set up.
    I have a workshop where I do a bit of spraying, welding and possibly now making surfboards too! The latter involves styrene, resins, MEKP catalyst, paints, and fibre glass dust, so not all that safe without good equipment! I am teaching my young sons too, so safety is the first and only priority at this point. I bought us all a 3m Mask each and use a belt filter system like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-Suppl...sAAOSwJ7RYTWQe

I have an air compressor in a clean environment away from the working space. As I don't have any dust or chemicals near the compressor, I assumed I wouldn't need filtration except for water/oil. The belt filter system (ebay thing) says it has water separator plus filter plus activated carbon filter, so looks like its geared up to protect from just about anything. However I got water in my mask, loads of water in my air tools, and also could smell rubbery smell when using it for 2 hours last night. I think the smell is the release agent in hose as I am using a LIDL clear air hose which is new.
    My main question which I can't find an answer to is....

Am i right in thinking I only need a condensed vapour separator (water oil filter) on my set up, and then the air should be breathable?
    The 3 stage filtration kits, a decent one like Devilbliss etc anyway, are so expensive I just can't afford them right now. If that means I can't work safe then work will stop, but obviously hoping to avoid that. I didn't think it was necessary to have loads of filters on air pulled into the compressor in a clean space, but maybe it is, can anyone help?
    Thanks

Another thing to worry about is carbon monoxide. A compressor can start generating carbon monoxide at any time. When it starts to fail in runs hot and the heat starts oxidizing the lube oil in the compressor that gets to the piston/cylinder or bad rod or main bearings. You should get a carbon dioxide monitor installed in the breathing air line. I used that kind of air at work a few times over 20 years ago. I never felt good about it. We used rotary compressors and there was a lot of oil mist in the air. We were dependent on the filters working and didn't monitor for CO.

Bob K

Len will be posting soon and he has a "Hobby Air" systems that I suggest. You REALLY need to protect yourself this is something that is seriously missed working and playing with these things. Welding, holy crap, on late model cars, they are all coated with Zinc, they are "galvanized" and welding it you are breathing METAL you are breathing into your lungs tiny PIECES OF METAL!

The paint fumes and fiberglass fumes are of course equally as dangerous. We often don't put on something because it's "just a tiny bit" and we think "ahhh, it's not big deal" and don't put it on saving the protection for some bigger job. THIS IS A HUGE MISTAKE we make as those little things add up!

I refer to it as you walk over the coins on the side walk and don't bend over to pick them up only picking up the bills. Well all those coins have added up! The coins have added up to the same as the bills!

WEAR YOUR PROTECTION!

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by terrystones View Post
    Hi all, I found this forum when trying to research a similar set up.
    I have a workshop where I do a bit of spraying, welding and possibly now making surfboards too! The latter involves styrene, resins, MEKP catalyst, paints, and fibre glass dust, so not all that safe without good equipment! I am teaching my young sons too, so safety is the first and only priority at this point. I bought us all a 3m Mask each and use a belt filter system like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-Suppl...sAAOSwJ7RYTWQe

I have an air compressor in a clean environment away from the working space. As I don't have any dust or chemicals near the compressor, I assumed I wouldn't need filtration except for water/oil. The belt filter system (ebay thing) says it has water separator plus filter plus activated carbon filter, so looks like its geared up to protect from just about anything. However I got water in my mask, loads of water in my air tools, and also could smell rubbery smell when using it for 2 hours last night. I think the smell is the release agent in hose as I am using a LIDL clear air hose which is new.
    My main question which I can't find an answer to is....

Am i right in thinking I only need a condensed vapour separator (water oil filter) on my set up, and then the air should be breathable?
    The 3 stage filtration kits, a decent one like Devilbliss etc anyway, are so expensive I just can't afford them right now. If that means I can't work safe then work will stop, but obviously hoping to avoid that. I didn't think it was necessary to have loads of filters on air pulled into the compressor in a clean space, but maybe it is, can anyone help?
    Thanks
    There are several considerations when you plan on breathing compressor air....

1. Most oil lubricated compressors can generate some carbon monoxide so a CO Detector should always be used when breathing compressor air.
    2. The hose used should be designed for breathing because other hoses can generate off-gassing of chemicals or generate dust caused by breaking down of the interior materials.

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    WEAR YOUR PROTECTION!
    No question about that, appreciate the strong advice but you're preaching to the choir! I am trying to find out exactly what form that protection should take, not wearing any is not an option

Len - thanks - do all compressors have lube oil in them? Don't think mine does, the only oil in it is in the motor. Yes some could escape but its brand new and loses no oil so i doubt that, but not about to chance it so I do want to protect myself from it, but i don't have any oil being added into the line anywhere.

What is the cheapest kind of filtration setup I could get? I am thinking of putting something on the wall near where I am working, run normal rubber air hose to that, then have the filters and regulators right next to me when working, can then get a short piece of breathing/foodsafe hose. But what sort of filters do I need, do you think I need activate charcoal for gases etc, when the compressor is not near anything harmful?
    Thanks again for the posts. much appreciated.

No question about that, appreciate the strong advice but you're preaching to the choir! I am trying to find out exactly what form that protection should take, not wearing any is not an option

Len - thanks - do all compressors have lube oil in them? Don't think mine does, the only oil in it is in the motor. Yes some could escape but its brand new and loses no oil so i doubt that, but not about to chance it so I do want to protect myself from it, but i don't have any oil being added into the line anywhere.

What is the cheapest kind of filtration setup I could get? I am thinking of putting something on the wall near where I am working, run normal rubber air hose to that, then have the filters and regulators right next to me when working, can then get a short piece of breathing/foodsafe hose. But what sort of filters do I need, do you think I need activate charcoal for gases etc, when the compressor is not near anything harmful?
    Thanks again for the posts. much appreciated.
    The only safe method that I know of is using a pump, hose and mask designed for breathing air. There are many different systems out there, the ones we sell (Hobbyair) start at $389. and go up from there.

Thanks. I visited the page, clicked on various ones, very little info on what it is, what it does, how it does it, where to site the box etc etc. It says "click here for details" but no link, "click picture for options" but again not clickable.
    Can you tell me more about the system please? So this would be completely separate, no need for compressor? Should the box be away from the hazardous materials? Does it have filters, changeable? etc

Thanks. I visited the page, clicked on various ones, very little info on what it is, what it does, how it does it, where to site the box etc etc. It says "click here for details" but no link, "click picture for options" but again not clickable.
    Can you tell me more about the system please? So this would be completely separate, no need for compressor? Should the box be away from the hazardous materials? Does it have filters, changeable? etc
    Hmm, the links work on my computer. I'll check it out.

Anyway, it's a simple process, put the pump in fresh air and pump it to your mask. If you put the pump in contaminated air it will most likely load up the filters quickly. I usually recommend using two 40' hoses so that the pump can be placed outside the spray room and you have plenty of hose to get around the vehicle.

Cool thanks. could be my browser, it's Safari and quite old version now

PS https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breathing...sAAMXQSnVRbINS

I am confused how some of these units have 2 pods, some have 3.
    Yet both are claimed suitable for "breathing air". I think the ones with 2 only do water and dust, but 3 do 0.001 microns which (i think) remove gases too. Surely all breathing air needs gases removed like CO and CO2 etc. So confused!

PS https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breathing...sAAMXQSnVRbINS

I am confused how some of these units have 2 pods, some have 3.
    Yet both are claimed suitable for "breathing air". I think the ones with 2 only do water and dust, but 3 do 0.001 microns which (i think) remove gases too. Surely all breathing air needs gases removed like CO and CO2 etc. So confused!
    Now your link isn't working on my computer.

If you're pulling the air from a clean source with equipment designed for breathing you should be ok.

Its probably refreshing your page to the ebay.com site instead of .co.uk. Images attached of the two types

https://snag.gy/8VrLh7.jpg

https://snag.gy/cXqe6f.jpg

"with equipment designed for breathing you should be ok" - yes, just trying to work out whether equipment designed for breathing is the 2 stage or 3 stage filter system as so many varied opinions from the sellers!

Its probably refreshing your page to the ebay.com site instead of .co.uk. Images attached of the two types

https://snag.gy/8VrLh7.jpg

https://snag.gy/cXqe6f.jpg

"with equipment designed for breathing you should be ok" - yes, just trying to work out whether equipment designed for breathing is the 2 stage or 3 stage filter system as so many varied opinions from the sellers!
    If you're going to breath compressor air you should also have a CO detector on the line.