TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning spreaders...

Default Cleaning spreaders...

I normally let the filler dry on my spreaders, then flex them and flake off the filler and wipe spreader with an acetone soaked paper towel to get the rest off. Seems like I remember reading on here that someone sprayed or coated the spreaders with something before using them to make them easier to clean up for re-use. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Default Same...

Quote Originally Posted by f3user View Post
    I normally let the filler dry on my spreaders, then flex them and flake off the filler and wipe spreader with an acetone soaked paper towel to get the rest off. Seems like I remember reading on here that someone sprayed or coated the spreaders with something before using them to make them easier to clean up for re-use. Does that sound familiar to anyone?
    I do what you do and any filler left on my pallet, I load onto the spreader. It seems to bite in well enough that when I pop it loose, I end up with a new spreader with no distortion. I would not coat the spreader with anything.

I worked with a guy who had the same spreader over 5 years. He wiped the excess off by scraping it on cardboard and then took a rag with some lacquer thinner and wiped it to like new again. I buy spreaders by the box and offered him several many times. He refused. Anyone else like him?

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I do what you do and any filler left on my pallet, I load onto the spreader. It seems to bite in well enough that when I pop it loose, I end up with a new spreader with no distortion. I would not coat the spreader with anything.

I worked with a guy who had the same spreader over 5 years. He wiped the excess off by scraping it on cardboard and then took a rag with some lacquer thinner and wiped it to like new again. I buy spreaders by the box and offered him several many times. He refused. Anyone else like him?

Henry
    I use a flexible putty knife to pull the filler out of the can then use it again to mix it with hardener. I use those yellow spreaders and have a small box of them cut into different widths. When I'm done applying the filler I wipe the putty knife and spreader with paper a towel and hit them with a little thinner to make them real clean.

I do as Len does, lacquer thinner to clean them spotless, and the mixing board which is aluminum. I have tried the paper ones, I don't like them personally but many people use them. I just using the metal putty knife (very thin metal) to scrape the mixing board and the plastic putty spreader getting most of it off then use the lacquer thinner to wipe it spotless.

And by the way, here is a tip to true the plastic spreaders that blew my mind when I was show after about 30 years in the business. LOL

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

I was just thinking about this step of the job few days ago...

Has anyone tried sort of teflon coated kitchen cutting board?..i want to try this, i wonder if body filler would stick to it...it is risky ...

I sometimes tape my spreaders when i do fiberglas or large area with heavier body filler,then remove tape and its clean...

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post

Has anyone tried sort of teflon coated kitchen cutting board?..i want to try this, i wonder if body filler would stick to it...it is risky ...

I sometimes tape my spreaders when i do fiberglas or large area with heavier body filler,then remove tape and its clean...
    I don't know, I don't see a problem at all, no need to change things when just cleaning it with a little squirt bottle of lacquer thinner and a rag, wham bam done.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post

We've been through a lot of mixing boards including door window glass and cardboard and now we use Clean Sheets because they are easy to take to the job after the filler is mixed, each sheet can be used several times and like new when a sheet is removed. The sheets are heavy, coated paper that doesn't tear easily.

i just keep an old paint can with spent laquer thinner in it. when i'm done using the spreader i toss it in the can. easy to wipe off after a short soak, or leave it till i need it again. just a quick wipe and good as new. mind you, i don't leave the spreader loaded, i wipe it on a cardboard or something first to remove the bulk. i too have some pretty old spreaders, but when the edge gets fuzzy, they're history. (or i wrap them with sandpaper to get the fine edges.)
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i just keep an old paint can with spent laquer thinner in it. when i'm done using the spreader i toss it in the can. easy to wipe off after a short soak, or leave it till i need it again. just a quick wipe and good as new. mind you, i don't leave the spreader loaded, i wipe it on a cardboard or something first to remove the bulk. i too have some pretty old spreaders, but when the edge gets fuzzy, they're history. (or i wrap them with sandpaper to get the fine edges.)
    Try the cardboard trick I posted to tune the edges of the plastic spreaders.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

i was going to look at that but the link didn't work well. it gave me a blank screen and maybe a button to download something. i'm always suspicious of downloading anything.
    b marler

i was going to look at that but the link didn't work well. it gave me a blank screen and maybe a button to download something. i'm always suspicious of downloading anything.
    Friggin photobucket! GRRRRR

All you simply do it rub the plastic spreader edge on a piece of cardboard to true the edge. Then wipe it with your fingers to remove any bit of loose plastic. It leaves the edge BETTER than when it was new.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

i'll try that for sure brian, rub lengthwise or cross wise? both?
    b marler

i'll try that for sure brian, rub lengthwise or cross wise? both?
    Both but lengthwise is what does the most I am thinking. Crosswise cleans up the traces of plastic that the lengthwise removes.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    Friggin photobucket! GRRRRR

All you simply do it rub the plastic spreader edge on a piece of cardboard to true the edge. Then wipe it with your fingers to remove any bit of loose plastic. It leaves the edge BETTER than when it was new.

Brian
    I will definitely try this! Len, it never occurred to me to reuse disposable clean sheets, ha! I guess if you scrape them clean enough there is no reason not to.

Quote Originally Posted by f3user View Post
    I will definitely try this! Len, it never occurred to me to reuse disposable clean sheets, ha! I guess if you scrape them clean enough there is no reason not to.
    If we are mixing a lot of filler at one time then we may dispose of the sheet but in many cases we are mixing smaller amounts so we just remove the residue with my putty knife and reuse the sheet. We started using the larger sheets and one sheet can be used several times.