TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: '78 Fiat Spider Driver / Project

Default '78 Fiat Spider Driver / Project

Hi all, and thanks for having me.
    Car purchased back in Sept. and very thankful for the wonderfully warm October we had in So. Maine, so I got to iron out a couple electrical gremlins and drive more than I anticipated. Cleaned out attached 2 car garage and still setting up shop, finished insulating and a couple more lights to install. Compressor ordered, looking at heat options. Before starting on stripping I will change out clutch, T.O. bearing, and figure I might as well change trans pilot bearing and ... why not install an 8# flywheel as opposed to keeping the 18# orig one.
    Orig. TX car, 47k+ miles. No structural rot and little panel rust, floors excellent. Going for the "muscle roadster" look, so def. lower and larger / wider wheels and tires.
    I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have experience at many things but very little in body work and hardly any in painting (real automotive spraying) but have enough faith in my ability to learn processes and techniques and in my attention to detail to do this myself. Seeing the other projects posted on this forum is very encouraging and inspiring.
    Feel as though I've already gained quite a bit of knowledge from time spent here browsing and searching. Thought I'd introduce myself and post a few pictures of what I'm getting myself in to. First pic is the day it arrived:

looks like a great starting point, kind of a blank slate. i've always liked that body style. there's great marquee support for those as well.(https://www.fiatclubamerica.com/)
    those look great in a variety of colors, but i like darker colors on them. my sister had one in dark green with tan interior that was just beautiful.
    keep us posted on the progress.
    b marler

I've liked this body style since I was about 13 -14 y.o. Been actively looking for one for about 4 years and now at 52 I finally have one. The lines are pretty awesome, esp that shoulder aft of above door handle back and how it runs all the way to front, and the line / slight spine on top of fenders. My guess is these would show up even more in a darker color. I also notice along entire sides is a parabolic curve. Very cool design.

there's been a lot more of these coming to market lately. check the bat website, you may find some inspiration there.
    b marler

Default Project Update: Getting closer

Default Basically finished!

Took these at around 8pm when light was much more subtle and better reflects what car looks like, + better b.g. than driveway. You can see how the tone of green shifts with light and angle. I think this helps show off style lines.