TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: How to correct blushed midcoat

Default How to correct blushed midcoat

I haven't had paint blush in years. My son and I are doing a 3 stage paint job on a 52 Hudson and stopped when the black midcoat blushed out on us yesterday while spraying. This is a Urethane product. Painted at 71 degrees and 80% humidity. (north Fl)
    What is the recommended procedure to correct this? Candy green goes over the top and then clear.
    ??

move out of florida,

you got some photos ? 80% humidity... thats horrible

Quote Originally Posted by studebaker View Post
    I haven't had paint blush in years. My son and I are doing a 3 stage paint job on a 52 Hudson and stopped when the black midcoat blushed out on us yesterday while spraying. This is a Urethane product. Painted at 71 degrees and 80% humidity. (north Fl)
    What is the recommended procedure to correct this? Candy green goes over the top and then clear.
    ??
    What normally makes paint blush is that it's drying quickly making the surface cool and moisture in the air condenses on the surface causing the blush. Use a slower reducer and don't lay the paint on too heavily.

Ok, thanks Len, that is pretty much what we figured. We went over it with a gray scuff pad, then shot another coat using slower reducer and thinned about 5% extra, it is also a little warmer today and less humidity, about 60%. Looks good now, about to apply the pearl green.

I know it's too late now, but I had some blushing issues with Chromabase a few years ago. I was able to 'unblush' by applying a light coat of high temp basemaker over the blushed finish. Just enough to rewet the base and the blush disappeared. Where the blush was extremely bad it took a second application.

Just my experience

SamG