TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what size tip

Personally, no way no how would I clear over SS. The bc/cc systems are designed to work together and are SOOOOOOOOO much easier to work with than a SS and clear it's crazy. If you feel shooting SS first and then clear is easier you are a bad ars painter and that is all there is to it. Because you are a bad ars painter you have to respect that everyone isn't. And the learning curve for SS and then Clear is VERY steep.

Being a paint rep for a few years if there is one thing that I saw and am now even a bigger believer than before that's following the tech sheets! Use a paint bought at the local paint store so you can have a connection with all the products and use the products that the tech sheet say to use. The gun size is in that tech information too!

Follow what the manufacturer says and you will always be better off.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

no sir, all wet on wet, 2 coats SS let flash, 2 coats of clear, let cure, cut with 800, reclear, dust nib where needed.

again it is what i do, the OP was asking if he can clear over his SS and yes he can with very good results.

theres really no reason to go back and forth on the subject, its what i do and it is my opinion he can do it as well if he chooses.

im not saying one way is better than the other. we seem to disagree a lot but i respect your opinions.

here is a link to a truck i did that way. the SS being under the clear saved me a lot of time not having to spot in burned through rivets and edges from cutting and reclearing.
    http://www.outlawcustomshd.com/galle...peterbilt-359/

i did a few more of their trucks if you want to navigate the site a little

heres a article i can find, although i dont read these site it does give some info on how many people use this method with very good results. i dont believe in miking clear with the paint though

https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood...rethane-paint/

I like the way you think Dave, these guys have argued with me for years.Just because you have been painting for a million years doesnít mean you have been doing it right or know best.

We must have similar spraying styles too my favourite Satas are the 2000 and 5000 Rpís with a 1.4 using akzo Nobel products.

Here is one more option to rattle the cages. When I do a black show car I spray 3 coats of single stage poly urethane (Btlv 650) then wetsand it flat and proceed to flow coat it with clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Henry is right, use a base coat black and clear it all in one painting session. It's a lot less painting and your result will look the same also your base coat application is a lot easier to apply.
    well, the one car is just a daily driver, so i'm not going to sink a whole bunch of money into the paint. That was the reason to give Eastwood a try. Their interstate SS is supposed to have the deepest shine. The second car i'm going to build for the wife, so it's going to have a custom two tone paint job. In that case you're right i should buy locally. There's a great auto body supply 15 min. from the house with pretty knowledgeable guys.

Quote Originally Posted by typicalcarguy View Post
    When I do a black show car I spray 3 coats of single stage poly urethane (Btlv 650) then wetsand it flat and proceed to flow coat it with clear.

That was, was my original intention, but I found a deal on a used charger that i just can't pass up, so i decided since my wife needs a better vehicle anyway that I would build this for her and do a custom 2 tone paint scheme in bc/cc.

So 07cruiser, you get us all riled up and combatative state of opinions and inputs and now you dont wanna do it and we left arguing as usual ?......

We have done SS yellow ppg 3 coats on a mitsubishi eclipse and after that cured, sand flat and hit it woth clear coat...customers wish....this was aeoind 2000 year, days of enhanced japanses speedsters...it was so yellow, sort of weird, but it stood out, like deep deep colored yellow flower...

Find paint locally, i will suggest Valspar, house of color line, affordable and good...the only solvent that i use these days..

Typicalcsar guy and paintwr dave, isbthere any benefit of adding like 3 layers of clearcoat over black SS , just for perceived depth?

And what is the "blackest, deepest" black color that anyone used, like super jet black, and by what company?...it sure must make a difference ?...

Painter dave, i have satajet4000 hvlp, i use it if i have big jobs, big panels, pickups.....it is good for any basecoat bit i like lvlp guns better, ....i dont have RP, but long time ago we had sata jet 90 and sata rp original, that gun was fastttt and sprsyed those high voc cleara great...unfortunately, those guns got worn out, one got stolen/lost,.....

Yea, i am thinking about getting one, just to have it in the case i get a a contraxt to do fleet vans, eithwr 1.2 or 1.3...people say 1.3 on sata is more like 1.4,.1.5 on otbers....

Quote Originally Posted by typicalcarguy View Post
    I like the way you think Dave, these guys have argued with me for years.Just because you have been painting for a million years doesnít mean you have been doing it right or know best.

We must have similar spraying styles too my favourite Satas are the 2000 and 5000 Rpís with a 1.4 using akzo Nobel products.

Here is one more option to rattle the cages. When I do a black show car I spray 3 coats of single stage poly urethane (Btlv 650) then wetsand it flat and proceed to flow coat it with clear.
    yes sir thats a good way too,

a lot of talent on these forums but i agree,

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    So 07cruiser, you get us all riled up and combatative state of opinions and inputs and now you dont wanna do it and we left arguing as usual ?......

We have done SS yellow ppg 3 coats on a mitsubishi eclipse and after that cured, sand flat and hit it woth clear coat...customers wish....this was aeoind 2000 year, days of enhanced japanses speedsters...it was so yellow, sort of weird, but it stood out, like deep deep colored yellow flower...

Find paint locally, i will suggest Valspar, house of color line, affordable and good...the only solvent that i use these days..

Typicalcsar guy and paintwr dave, isbthere any benefit of adding like 3 layers of clearcoat over black SS , just for perceived depth?

And what is the "blackest, deepest" black color that anyone used, like super jet black, and by what company?...it sure must make a difference ?...

Painter dave, i have satajet4000 hvlp, i use it if i have big jobs, big panels, pickups.....it is good for any basecoat bit i like lvlp guns better, ....i dont have RP, but long time ago we had sata jet 90 and sata rp original, that gun was fastttt and sprsyed those high voc cleara great...unfortunately, those guns got worn out, one got stolen/lost,.....

Yea, i am thinking about getting one, just to have it in the case i get a a contraxt to do fleet vans, eithwr 1.2 or 1.3...people say 1.3 on sata is more like 1.4,.1.5 on otbers....

i like Valspar K090 and i believe the factory pack number is K900 in 852 line Sherwin williams G2 is also a great SS for clearing over

Ok...i use a lot of Valspar solvent lvbr100 , i gotta paint 1990 ford econiline van in black, i will test out that paint code...

Transtae rep wants me to try their superjet black pack in a gallon, i never tried it...its only $140 a gllon

Ok...i use a lot of Valspar solvent lvbr100 , i gotta paint 1990 ford econiline van in black, i will test out that paint code...

Transtae rep wants me to try their superjet black pack in a gallon, i never tried it...its only $140 a gllon

i would try it out, probably 1/4 of the cost.

So 07cruiser, you get us all riled up and combatative state of opinions and inputs and now you dont wanna do it and we left arguing as usual ?.......

LOL, you guys talked me out of it. I do appreciate all of the feed back though!