TheCoatingStore.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Paint fume concentration...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    112

    Default Paint fume concentration...

    I was painting in my unvented shop wearing a 3m mask. Seal was good, never smelled any thing but decided to come outside and leave door open to let some fresh air in. I turned off the inside lights to keep bugs from wanting to go in. I noticed fumes coming out for several minutes but took a quick video clip with phone. It honestly looked like shop was on fire at one point!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by f3user View Post
    I was painting in my unvented shop wearing a 3m mask. Seal was good, never smelled any thing but decided to come outside and leave door open to let some fresh air in. I turned off the inside lights to keep bugs from wanting to go in. I noticed fumes coming out for several minutes but took a quick video clip with phone. It honestly looked like shop was on fire at one point!

    Careful doing that man. Those respirators will only filter out so much before they are saturated. They really shouldn't be used for paint application processes. Fresh air is the way to go but I understand most people don't want to spend the money on one as a hobby.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    375

    Default

    wow, i just watched that too. as a hobbyist i use a full face 3m mask instead of fresh air system but i have really great air exchange in my "booth". you gotta get some ventilation in there!
    b marler

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lower Michigan
    Posts
    17,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    Careful doing that man. Those respirators will only filter out so much before they are saturated. They really shouldn't be used for paint application processes. Fresh air is the way to go but I understand most people don't want to spend the money on one as a hobby.
    Quote - " they really shouldn't be used for paint application processes ". (end quote)

    Bullshit ! Those masks are made FOR paint application processes. They DO effectively block out harmful chemicals from entering the respiratory system -- if used properly. The higher the concentration of paint fumes the shorter the useful life of the mask. It's pretty much universally accepted that a 3M painters mask is good for around 8 hours of actual use. Sounds really short amount of time but spraying paint for 8 long hours IS a long time, especially when broken down into several/many different paint applications. The mask must be stored properly when it's not in actual use. EVERY professional painter I have known (me included) have used 3M dual charcoal canister painters masks. I never worked in a professional shop that had a forced air painters mask system. I'm not against fresh air systems, they are probably more idiot proof than professional dual charcoal canister masks.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    37,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Quote - " they really shouldn't be used for paint application processes ". (end quote)

    Bullshit ! Those masks are made FOR paint application processes. They DO effectively block out harmful chemicals from entering the respiratory system -- if used properly. The higher the concentration of paint fumes the shorter the useful life of the mask. It's pretty much universally accepted that a 3M painters mask is good for around 8 hours of actual use. Sounds really short amount of time but spraying paint for 8 long hours IS a long time, especially when broken down into several/many different paint applications. The mask must be stored properly when it's not in actual use. EVERY professional painter I have known (me included) have used 3M dual charcoal canister painters masks. I never worked in a professional shop that had a forced air painters mask system. I'm not against fresh air systems, they are probably more idiot proof than professional dual charcoal canister masks.
    Actually the 3M mask is only good for 8 hours from the time it's opened not 8 hours of use. Plus a cartridge mask is a "negative pressure" mask and can leak contaminants to the user much more easily than positive pressure masks. The better shops and paint suppliers insist on using supplied air systems when spraying products with isocyanates, there's a lot less chance of permanent health problems.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lower Michigan
    Posts
    17,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Actually the 3M mask is only good for 8 hours from the time it's opened not 8 hours of use. Plus a cartridge mask is a "negative pressure" mask and can leak contaminants to the user much more easily than positive pressure masks. The better shops and paint suppliers insist on using supplied air systems when spraying products with isocyanates, there's a lot less chance of permanent health problems.
    I don't believe it's 8 hours from the time the cartridge bag is opened. Based on hands on professional experience over the last 47 years I KNOW the masks last a LOT longer than 8 silly hours. ALL the professional painters I know use dual cartridge painters mask. NONE use a fresh air system. I could just as easily say " the better shops use dual charcoal canister painters masks. Either way its a silly argument. Both ways work fine and fresh air systems are a little more idiot proof.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    37,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    I don't believe it's 8 hours from the time the cartridge bag is opened. Based on hands on professional experience over the last 47 years I KNOW the masks last a LOT longer than 8 silly hours. ALL the professional painters I know use dual cartridge painters mask. NONE use a fresh air system. I could just as easily say " the better shops use dual charcoal canister painters masks. Either way its a silly argument. Both ways work fine and fresh air systems are a little more idiot proof.
    Activated charcoal is effected differently in different environments and high relative humidity can drastically lower the life of these cartridges and the negative pressure can easily cause leakage of toxins to the lungs.

    I was on our local body shop organization when isos came into the shops and we had several workers in different shops become permanently disabled by using outdated cartridge masks. This caused our organization to recommend that all shops purchase supplied air systems. I owned one of the largest shops in South Jersey at the time and our paint supplier told us that they would stop selling us paint if we didn't use this type of breathing system. Back then we paid over $2,000 for a good system but now a hobbyist can get one for less than $400.

    Once a person develops an allergic reaction to isos breathing problems can be with them for the rest of their lives so it's not worth the risk. Either farm out the paint work or spend the money on a supplied air system, if you only use it once or twice you can probably get back more than half of what you paid on eBay.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Activated charcoal is effected differently in different environments and high relative humidity can drastically lower the life of these cartridges and the negative pressure can easily cause leakage of toxins to the lungs.

    I was on our local body shop organization when isos came into the shops and we had several workers in different shops become permanently disabled by using outdated cartridge masks. This caused our organization to recommend that all shops purchase supplied air systems. I owned one of the largest shops in South Jersey at the time and our paint supplier told us that they would stop selling us paint if we didn't use this type of breathing system. Back then we paid over $2,000 for a good system but now a hobbyist can get one for less than $400.

    Once a person develops an allergic reaction to isos breathing problems can be with them for the rest of their lives so it's not worth the risk. Either farm out the paint work or spend the money on a supplied air system, if you only use it once or twice you can probably get back more than half of what you paid on eBay.
    The problem is you can not tell when the respirator is all done. Isos have no smell.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    37,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DougMN View Post
    The problem is you can not tell when the respirator is all done. Isos have no smell.
    That's exactly right and why I'm thankful that my paint supplier insisted that we use supplied air many years ago and we still use the same system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •