TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Painting Engine Accessories, Epoxy or Acid Etch?

Default Painting Engine Accessories, Epoxy or Acid Etch?

I plan on painting all the engine accessories ( alternator, ac compressor, etc.) on my project truck. Obviously trying to scuff these items will be a challenge, which primer do you think would stick better to a poorly prepared surface?

sand with 150 best you can and either one will work, but do not use both they are not compatible

Quote Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
    I plan on painting all the engine accessories ( alternator, ac compressor, etc.) on my project truck. Obviously trying to scuff these items will be a challenge, which primer do you think would stick better to a poorly prepared surface?
    I like using epoxy primer for most of my priming jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I like using epoxy primer for most of my priming jobs.
    I was kind of leaning towards the epoxy, it seams to stick real well to almost anything. Thanks Len

Default What?

Quote Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
    What's on them now and what are they for (eng & vehicle)? Also, what color are you planning to paint them?

Henry

I go with the epoxy too, however, and this is a big however, some epoxies can be thick and these brackets are often of very close tolerances. They bolt on perfectly without a mm of wiggle room then something bolts to them perfectly with zero wiggle room so building up material isn't going to work.

So check what you can get away with and you may want to send the epoxy down on bolt surfaces like where the alt or what ever bolts to it to reduce the thickness allowing more room to fit the part.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    What's on them now and what are they for (eng & vehicle)? Also, what color are you planning to paint them?

Henry
    They are bare aluminum right now, I want them satin black, so I think I'm gonna us SPI black epoxy. I talked to the owner, and their epoxy does not need to be topcoated, so it should work real well..

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    I go with the epoxy too, however, and this is a big however, some epoxies can be thick and these brackets are often of very close tolerances. They bolt on perfectly without a mm of wiggle room then something bolts to them perfectly with zero wiggle room so building up material isn't going to work.

So check what you can get away with and you may want to send the epoxy down on bolt surfaces like where the alt or what ever bolts to it to reduce the thickness allowing more room to fit the part.

Brian
    Thanks Brian