TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Air Pressure Guage w/o regulator

Default Air Pressure Guage w/o regulator

Instead of swapping out pressure regulators on my guns, I was going to order a couple of new regulators - I use the Sharpe Manufacturing SHA1410 16C-MR Mini Air Regulator with Gauge which are just under $60 if I remember correctly.

Since I adjust my gun's air pressure at the wall and read the pressure at the gun, could I just use an $9 back fed pressure gauge and a $5 brass 1/4" "T" mounted to the gun? I don't really adjust at the gun anyways.

Another benefit is that I can get a 0-30 or 0-60 gauge which would be easier to read vs the current gauges that have the 2 Bar crammed down near zero.
    Last edited by OldFatBald; 11-09-2017 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Old Fat Bald

Default Nobody???

Nobody?? Am I thinking correctly or missing something obvious?

I read the question but it sounded like you talked yourself into something while you were typing. To me it's just a kind of preference thing. The "T" you speak of probably shouldn't be a Home Depot IPS (Iron Pipe Size) tapered thread but an IPS swivel on the gun end so you don't damage your gun. You can get one at a place that handles hydraulic fittings and hoses but you probably know that.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    ...The "T" you speak of probably shouldn't be a Home Depot IPS (Iron Pipe Size) tapered thread but an IPS swivel on the gun end so you don't damage your gun. You can get one at a place that handles hydraulic fittings and hoses but you probably know that.
    I hadn't noticed before your reply that the spray guns and screw on regulators have 1/4" NPSM (straight threads) while my hose and all my air fittings use NPT (tapered) fittings.

All my other air tools use NPT threads.

I checked the package on the Devilbiss Whirlwind Filters and they just say 1/4-18 pipe threads which isn't really a correct call out as they could be either straight or tapered.

The male NPSM straight threads on the spray guns seem to be just short enough to work with the NPT female threads with a little Teflon tape and I just hadn't noticed!

While looking at all this I also notice two more things;
    1) I apparently have my little Devilbiss Whirlwind Filters on backwards
    2) My Devilbiss FL4 guns with HVLP air caps that I use for primers and sealers are supposed to be run at 23 psi and I have been using them at 2 bar (29 psi)

FL4 & 4600 - air.jpg