TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 1986 GMC Suburban 2500 Restoration

Default 1986 GMC Suburban 2500 Restoration

Starting the body work on the family Suburban. We've had the truck from day one, and she's been up and down the whole East coast a few times, and been through six new drivers. Being a Northern truck, she has a lot of rust. The inner and outer rockers, both quarts and wheel wells and some other stuff. This will be my first go at metal work, I've been spraying and doing plastic work on my other vehicles over the years, so I have that down, somewhat! Haha. So onto the important stuff, the pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got the fender and door off. Need to remove the rear pass door.

Got all the parts in to start the right side repairs. Have the inner/outer rocker panels, rear cab support and the floor pan. Might start it this weekend.

Default Curious?

Just so you know, 'it's a lot of work' as you are finding out.

Just wondering, if and what you put over the bare metal body? In another thread you started it shows you got the paint down to bare metal but another picture shows white on the doors with what may look like some surface rust. We really can't tell from here so thought I'd ask.

Whenever doing a project as large as this (not the size of the truck but rather all the areas involved) it becomes easy to jump ahead or lose continuity. Best thing at this stage is PLAN, LABEL, BAG, have all the materials you'll need, look ahead and stay safe.

With the cutting and welding you are about to do, it's best to remove anything in the way, any burnables, protection from sparks and know where your brake and gas lines are located under the truck so you know to stay far away from them or any prior leakage that can catch fire. I suggest a welding blanket to cover the dash and wiring underneath. In other words, Gut The Truck. Keep us posted as this should be interesting to follow and good luck.

Henry

Henry

Yes it will be, this is not my first big project, I've had many types of vehicles, in many different stages of repair. Be it gutting and redoing interiors, powertrain or suspension. But this is my fist go at panel replacement.

I got a new compressor, 60 gal, and thought it could keep up with my gun, but it could not. I stripped the truck to bare metal, I was spraying it with epoxy primer, it had tons of moisture in it. Which led to the rust. I've since redone it.

Yes very true, I have bags and containers with a label maker to keep everything organized.

I've been welding and oxy torch on vehicles for years, and always make sure safety first! I have 3 fire extinguisher around my garage. The truck is already gutted, just the two front seats in it, which will be removed before the work starts.

"should be interesting to follow"
    What! No faith? Lol. Thanks for the info, this is the first time for panel replacement and I'm all ears. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, or strive to do it right %100. So I will be posting a lot and asking a lot of questions. Thanks

Sean

Default Faith, you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by 89Blaze View Post
    Henry

Yes it will be, this is not my first big project, I've had many types of vehicles, in many different stages of repair. Be it gutting and redoing interiors, powertrain or suspension. But this is my fist go at panel replacement.

I got a new compressor, 60 gal, and thought it could keep up with my gun, but it could not. I stripped the truck to bare metal, I was spraying it with epoxy primer, it had tons of moisture in it. Which led to the rust. I've since redone it.

Yes very true, I have bags and containers with a label maker to keep everything organized.

I've been welding and oxy torch on vehicles for years, and always make sure safety first! I have 3 fire extinguisher around my garage. The truck is already gutted, just the two front seats in it, which will be removed before the work starts.

"should be interesting to follow"
    What! No faith? Lol. Thanks for the info, this is the first time for panel replacement and I'm all ears. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, or strive to do it right %100. So I will be posting a lot and asking a lot of questions. Thanks

Sean
    Of course I have faith in you and basically anyone nuts enough to dive into something needing this amount of work. Through the 19 1/2 year on this site, I've enjoyed seeing what all members do and when they post often of their progress, I love seeing it. PLEASE, don't take anything I say as a criticism because anything typed is not meant in any form of negativity and YOU, you've been a member here for a long time so all is well. There are many members here from pro to novice. I often point things out on any project so onlookers can benefit from alternate viewpoints if you follow me.

What's the CFM rating on your compressor and what type gun did you use? I had a 60 and have an 80 now and my 60 kept up to what I needed it to do. Metal work, be it grinding or cut off wheel takes lots of air but all my DA's are decent, even my Mud Hog. I do find IR tools suck air the most.

Not sure if you've seen what 'Kevin In Ohio did as a NOVICE to this work and I think it's the best vehicle turnout ever on this site. I'm posting the link below but you may have to fish around to see his finish product which included parts he had to HAND MAKE. I think it took over 10 years but what a gem he turned out. Have a look:

IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio/19...8174e1.eagle_s Lots to scroll through but very interesting. Plus, his buddy did a 'very quick' video:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...rcW?source=pwa

Scroll through as you wait for paint to dry. Good job Kevin if you're out there.

Henry

Thanks for the link, please I'll take all criticism I can, it will make for a better end to my project. I was just joking with you, I have a pretty good sense of humor, nothing you said was taken negatively. I really appreciate your input. It's a 60 gallon 11.5 SCMF @ 90 psi, with a Devilbiss Plus gun. My brother will be helping me with this project, we are both of the same mechanical altitude, so he'll be a big help. I just looked underneath my name didn't realize I was a senior member, I guess I've been on here a long time. It all started with wanting to paint my brothers cowl inducted hood on his 97 Tahoe.

Quote Originally Posted by 89Blaze View Post
    ...I got a new compressor, 60 gal, and thought it could keep up with my gun, but it could not...
    If you have your old compressor or another smaller one, you can combine them for supplemental air capacity. That is working well for me until I can get a bigger compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Of course I have faith in you and basically anyone nuts enough to dive into something needing this amount of work. Through the 19 1/2 year on this site, I've enjoyed seeing what all members do and when they post often of their progress, I love seeing it. PLEASE, don't take anything I say as a criticism because anything typed is not meant in any form of negativity and YOU, you've been a member here for a long time so all is well. There are many members here from pro to novice. I often point things out on any project so onlookers can benefit from alternate viewpoints if you follow me.

What's the CFM rating on your compressor and what type gun did you use? I had a 60 and have an 80 now and my 60 kept up to what I needed it to do. Metal work, be it grinding or cut off wheel takes lots of air but all my DA's are decent, even my Mud Hog. I do find IR tools suck air the most.

Not sure if you've seen what 'Kevin In Ohio did as a NOVICE to this work and I think it's the best vehicle turnout ever on this site. I'm posting the link below but you may have to fish around to see his finish product which included parts he had to HAND MAKE. I think it took over 10 years but what a gem he turned out. Have a look:

IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio/19...8174e1.eagle_s Lots to scroll through but very interesting. Plus, his buddy did a 'very quick' video:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...rcW?source=pwa

Scroll through as you wait for paint to dry. Good job Kevin if you're out there.

Henry
    Thanks Henry. I received loads of great info from this site and help from Len. To the OP, I bought a Devilbiss Plus gun from Len and that is what my truck was painted with. This first time using it. First time spraying base/clear and first cut and buff. If you have the desire and willpower/drive it can be done. Follow directions to the T and block and block again. It is possible to get a good finish at home.

Thanks Kevin, your truck came out amazing. I pulled the trigger on the Plus gun a couple of times, for the price it's an awesome gun.

That's way to much work..