TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Eastwood Scroll compressor...

Default Eastwood Scroll compressor...

Has anyone been watching the new Eastwood Scroll Compressor? I think pre-orders start in November. If it lives up to the hype of being quiet, powerful (12 cfm @90 PSI) and 100% duty cycle it should be a winner if it is durable. 12 cfm is less than many 60 gallon setups, but they claim it can run an entire shop. I'm currently running two compressors together so I"m in the market for a larger new one soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=lmkELyWmcw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glw_vgREzO4

that looks really interesting. like a screw compressor though, special care should be taken to be sure all the oil is filtered out of the airstream. there is an onboard oil separator, but a very small amount of oil vapor can remain airborne. i love the newer compressors available now, my brother has a small ingersoll screw compressor in his shop. super quiet. you don't even know its running from across the room. best part was, i got his old quincy for free when i helped him install it.
    b marler

Greetings, I will be heading down to Eastwood on Thursday for supplies, i will ask the boys if they have one setup on display and to get a look at it for you. there is huge possibility that these are made in China and dropshipped direct from the suppliers warehouse . I drop a reply back after Thursday with any info i can gather, best regards Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwelbilt View Post
    Greetings, I will be heading down to Eastwood on Thursday for supplies, i will ask the boys if they have one setup on display and to get a look at it for you. there is huge possibility that these are made in China and dropshipped direct from the suppliers warehouse . I drop a reply back after Thursday with any info i can gather, best regards Mike
    I think they probably are made in China. I think the Chinese can manufacture to whatever tolerances they are paid to or the manufacturing facility is designed for. I understand the caution though, I won't buy a knife or wrench if it says China anywhere on it.

Not sure what they mean by "can run an entire shop". I have an 80gallon 2 stage Champion compressor with 18 cfm and it runs a LOT with some air tools - for example CP 3" buffer uses a ton of air. The exhaust is like an open air hose! I would think a 12cfm compressor would run full time with that tool.

Greetings, not much to report back with...nothing on display or possibly hear run. they are having a scratch and dent sale on welders NOV. 11 they expect to have one on display by then

Quote Originally Posted by kenc View Post
    ...I would think a 12cfm compressor would run full time with that tool.
    These compressors are designed with a 100% duty cycle they say, so running full time is supposedly not a problem.

i was fortunate enough to be able to purchase one of these to replace my old 20 gallon piston compressor. Let me tell you, this thing is AWESOME! it is super quiet, and produces enough air for all my iwata lph400's without a hitch. I do have the system hooked up to a QC3 air dryer and regulator because this thing runs pretty warm, and you all know what that means....water in the lines etc! I have not had any issues with water/ oil in the air line and would totally recommend any hobbyist/ DIY'ers to purchase this. The first actual exterior job that i was able to tackle with this compressor was a silver E30 and we were able to shoot from 2pm up until 5am with no complaints from the neighbors hehe. (took maybe 3-4 hours longer than it should have due to some prep issues that were out of my control).

overall, I highly recommend it to anyone! =)

Quote Originally Posted by kidkombo View Post
    i was fortunate enough to be able to purchase one of these to replace my old 20 gallon piston compressor. Let me tell you, this thing is AWESOME! it is super quiet, and produces enough air for all my iwata lph400's without a hitch. I do have the system hooked up to a QC3 air dryer and regulator because this thing runs pretty warm, and you all know what that means....water in the lines etc! I have not had any issues with water/ oil in the air line and would totally recommend any hobbyist/ DIY'ers to purchase this. The first actual exterior job that i was able to tackle with this compressor was a silver E30 and we were able to shoot from 2pm up until 5am with no complaints from the neighbors hehe. (took maybe 3-4 hours longer than it should have due to some prep issues that were out of my control).

overall, I highly recommend it to anyone! =)
    What's your tank size and CFM?

the tank size is 30 gallons and the cfm the scroll compressor produces is 12cfm at any psi at any given time. it sure is available to produce the 10cfm required for the iwatas i use. I also noticed no pressure drop when the compressor kicks on, i have the QC3 regulator set at about 80-100psi btw.

Quote Originally Posted by kidkombo View Post
    the tank size is 30 gallons and the cfm the scroll compressor produces is 12cfm at any psi at any given time. it sure is available to produce the 10cfm required for the iwatas i use.
    Next time get a minimum of a 60 gallon tank, an 80 is better. What happens with a small tank is that the compressor is running all the time and the air get a lot hotter than with a larger tank. Tank size is as important or even more important than CFM.

Very true, I was aware of the tank size but I was more concerned with the sound levels since I do this work in a residential area zoned for home business of autobody work😉👍 the compressor worked fine on a complete exterior respray so Iím
    Happy with it! I just probably have to replace my air dryer desiccant element more often because of it haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Next time get a minimum of a 60 gallon tank, an 80 is better. What happens with a small tank is that the compressor is running all the time and the air get a lot hotter than with a larger tank. Tank size is as important or even more important than CFM.
    Looks like its only available in one tank size. Very interesting. I looked at scroll compressors before I bought my new one but they were very costly. This one would have been cost effective.

the tank size for a scroll compressor is not as critical as a piston unit. scrolls are rated for 100% duty cycle and don't produce as much heat as a piston system. the working surfaces are typically made of teflon and some kind of tip seal. this makes much less friction than the metal to metal contact of the piston/rings/bore of a piston head. the main reason to have a large air receiver with a scroll is to reduce the running time.
    the same is true for a screw compressor. they don't actually need a tank at all, although if there's a high draw at any point in the system a tank can be beneficial to act as an accumulator.
    a larger size main header pipe for your delivery system can act as extra tank capacity as well.
    i think scroll compressors are fairly new on the scene, and i'd be looking at the reliability over the long term before i jumped in. piston units run for many years...
    b marler

Here is an animation of how the scroll compressors work. https://youtu.be/iU5PVinDyNQ