TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: pitted roof rust

Default pitted roof rust

My Roof has lots of small rust pits .
    In the past
    If there is enough good metal i would blast,grind, the surface as best I could, get it down to bare metal, but unless you completely eliminate it , it always comes back! The paint will pop or start to bubble in that area. Might take a couple years .
    I have tried Rust converters, glassing over the previously rusty area , filler never works
    In my experience ,the rusty metal will rust again under the filler , fiberglass , rust convertor ect....
    I did a search and read many threads on the subject on this site.
    Question.
    Is there a miracle solution to etch rusty metal that will prevent it from rusting again?
    How does metal rust that is under epoxy primer and B/C paint, does moisture get through to the metal somehow?

You need as good foundation for any paint on metal that you want to last. If you have pits with rust in them the best process is to blast until the rust is gone then epoxy prime then apply either body filler or filler primer to level the surface. If you can't blast the pits clean you can wire brush to remove the loose material then apply a "good" metal conditioner like Picklex 20 then epoxy prime and fill the pits.

If you go the Picklex 20 route you spray it on a small area, work it in with a scuff pad, wipe it off with paper towels, allow it to dry then apply your primer and filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    You need as good foundation for any paint on metal that you want to last. If you have pits with rust in them the best process is to blast until the rust is gone then epoxy prime then apply either body filler or filler primer to level the surface. If you can't blast the pits clean you can wire brush to remove the loose material then apply a "good" metal conditioner like Picklex 20 then epoxy prime and fill the pits.

If you go the Picklex 20 route you spray it on a small area, work it in with a scuff pad, wipe it off with paper towels, allow it to dry then apply your primer and filler.

Cheeses Rice !! Pickler is EXPENSIVE!
    I am going to order a quart and try it although , thank you !

Default Picklex

It works great, its not expensive if it works right? I buy it by the gallon. Ohio rust