Thread: What Color is this?

Default What Color is this?

That's not candy apple blue is it?

Thanks for any help?

Default That's easy...

Quote Originally Posted by Throwingdeer View Post
    That's not candy apple blue is it?

Thanks for any help?
    Easy one. It's dark blue! Anyway, I did a search of their site only to find hundreds of cars bearing their name. Some done in Japan. Below is a link to cars from their site, bearing the name Mercury. Have a look. I look for the one you posted but didn't see it. I was then going to try to get to the owner or someone and ask for you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=spee...w=1280&bih=669

You may never find the exact color they used or 'made' for that car as it may not be anything stock. I might start at this place; http://shop.thecoatingstore.com/ and view the large assortment of their offerings. They can even send you a sample if you find anything close. Members here who have used their products have only good things to say and the price is right as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Henry

Doesn't it look like its over silver and a Kandy?

I have a 69 Eldorado I want to paint the same color . I cant even begin to spray a Kandy unless its a Fake Kandy from HOK .
    It looks like it has a lighter shade to it in the light, really cool! A Pearl maybe??

To me it looks just like the Midnight Blue Pearl I'm using right now. I got at The Coating Store:

IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4509.jpg

What do you think, is it a match? Out in sunlight it is harder to see the blue. It's lit up blue in my shop because of the overhead lights.
    Last edited by f3user; 10-18-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Yep,
    That is it and a Beautiful color!
    Midnight Pearl Blue and I you purchased it from the paint store mentioned.
    It has silver flake and was how difficult was it to spray on a 0 to 10. Ant thoughts or tips
    I have a homemade spray booth , not as a good as a real booth but it has been working .

WHAT COLOR BASE DID YOU USE?

Thank you Sir

Default Advice from one rookie to another, so don't take for gospel...

Well I'm a total beginner and that was my first try so either it wasn't too hard or I just plain got lucky (a real possibility mind you). Surface prep was a follows:

Layer 1. Epoxy Primer - the right half of that trunk was taken to bare metal. The other half was left in the primer that someone else had applied. It seems to be a pretty tough epoxy of some sort so I just scuffed it up (maybe just used a maroon scotch brite, can't remember for sure). I applied primer from The Coating Store - OXY-STIK 2K Epoxy Primer/Primer Sealer (EP 20 Series) It sprayed on pretty easily even with my cheapo craftsman spray gun and left a slightly glossy finish. I thought epoxy would be harder to spray.

Layer 2. Urethane High Build 2K primer - Technically the Epoxy is also 2K since anything with an activator is called 2K but for some reason people only call the high build primers that you can sand 2K primers. Someone said they had seen some "shrinkage" the Urekem 2K primer, so I used High Teck High Solids 7330 primer. It completely choked my poor craftsman which couldn't atomize it and it may have been bad anyway, there was whole long thread about it. I bought a Devilbiss Finishline 4 from Len and it had no problems spraying it, but beware that is when I really found out why it's called HIGH VOLUME low pressure. Nice guns use more air than my old cheap gun did. That required me tying two compressors together into a T fitting until I can get something better. Next time, I am going to try what Len uses which is High Teck 77451 primer.

IMG_4429.jpg

Layer 3. Base - Well unlike a lot of pearls, this is not a tri-coat system. The pearl is in the base coat. Just mix it well and keep it mixed in your gun also (just turn gun upside down a few times). DON'T try to put full wet coats on with lots of overlap like I did unless you want stripes or unevenness (Thanks Bob K for helping me out).

Layer 4. Clear Coat - I used the UC-210 2K HS PolyUrethane Clearcoat (three coats). I did put that on wet with a good overlap. I didn't get any runs or sags, but I was spraying a flat panel also. I suspect when I move to vertical panels it might get interesting then.

Final thoughts so far, I have made MANY mistakes along they way but the guys here and at UreKem have been very helpful. I'm just getting started, have a whole car left to do! I'm only a few days ahead of you. At least you get to learn with "relatively cheap" paint also. Good luck!
    Last edited by f3user; 10-18-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Wow,
    That came out nice!! About how far did you stay away from the panel when sprayed the base ?

The paint kit is very reasonably priced compared to HOK , which I usually use . I have been looking for alternative paint supplier with 'Fun' colors
    What is the advantage of the Glamour Clear ?

If it's a "stock" color you may be able to find it by having a paint supplier scan it. It's impossible to get an exact answer from a picture. Do you have access to the car?

Wow,
    That came out nice!! About how far did you stay away from the panel when sprayed the base ?
    The first time I was about 6" from panel overlapping my passes and that caused dark stripes. What eventually worked was staying about 8" back and not worrying about overlapping as much. My main purpose was to cover the stripes with something uniform. The third and last coat was from about 18" away. That was just to blow some down some pearl all oriented the same way. Don't try to make it shine, that's what the clear is for.
    The Glamour Clear I used is High Solids. I'm not real sure, I think it dries thicker and offers more protection than a medium solids clear.

What color primer did you use F3user?

What color primer did you use F3user?
    The 7330 only comes in gray I think.