TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: How do you keep bugs out of paint defogger bug zapper???

Default How do you keep bugs out of paint defogger bug zapper???

What is best way to get rid of bugs

Quote Originally Posted by New painter boy View Post
    Fogging the room works but you need to protect the item you are painting or remove it from the room before you fog because most times the fog is an oil based product that can cause problems with the painting.

Another solution is to keep the room closed for several days prior to painting.

Bug zappers and pest strips help to minimize the bug population but don't really eliminate the problem.

Keep a pair of long tweezers handy so that bug can be removed from the paint as soon as they hit. Leaving a bugs in place until the paint hardens can cause more serious defects in the finish.

Thanks bro

Quote Originally Posted by New painter boy View Post
    I use a battery powered leaf blower either the night before or the morning of my painting to blow the dust, spiders and bugs out of my "pig barn" (really used to be a pig barn back in the day).

I have an old wire caged shop fan that I setup and turn on high about an hour towards one of the doors near where I paint. The other door to the shop I keep closed. I still have a LOT of openings, as it is nowhere close to air tight.

Right before painting I wet the walls and floor down with water and switch the fan to low, it creates kind of an air curtain to keep the bugs out.

I also learned not to paint around sunset.

Thanks bugs come out late rite

For years I used to paint in a detached garage that was basically my shop. When I would do a complete repaint, I pulled out everything I could & stored it in a trailer in the driveway. Then cleaned the heck out of the shop, covered the car the night before painting & would bug bomb. it worked well, but sometimes there would still be a bug or two that would get in. Paint solvents in the air seem to either annoy bugs where they come looking for it, or they just like it for whatever reason.

Best luck I had was to bug bomb the night before a forecasted rainy day. Because I was a hobbiest I usually had the time to wait for the right conditions. But that didn't always work out. Today I have a separate room within my garage/shop that quickly converts to a large spray booth but a couple times now a flying bug will be sitting somewhere inside & will swoop in the door of this room as I go in.

I think a bug flying around will mess with my head more than the risk of what might happen. When I am spraying I don't want any distractions, & a flying long legged insect would be the top of the list for a distraction.......

Default I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
    For years I used to paint in a detached garage that was basically my shop. When I would do a complete repaint, I pulled out everything I could & stored it in a trailer in the driveway. Then cleaned the heck out of the shop, covered the car the night before painting & would bug bomb. it worked well, but sometimes there would still be a bug or two that would get in. Paint solvents in the air seem to either annoy bugs where they come looking for it, or they just like it for whatever reason.

Best luck I had was to bug bomb the night before a forecasted rainy day. Because I was a hobbiest I usually had the time to wait for the right conditions. But that didn't always work out. Today I have a separate room within my garage/shop that quickly converts to a large spray booth but a couple times now a flying bug will be sitting somewhere inside & will swoop in the door of this room as I go in.

I think a bug flying around will mess with my head more than the risk of what might happen. When I am spraying I don't want any distractions, & a flying long legged insect would be the top of the list for a distraction.......
    I agree with you on the distractions. I want no phones, no visitors and no bugs. Nightly bugs are a PIA but even in the daytime, there seems to be those couple flies. If and when I've had a couple, why must they dive bomb into the HOOD? And to make matters worst, I love when they try to walk out of the paint. I do keep long tweezers handy since Len first mentioned them.

Bug & paint fumes? I think they get 'high' on the smell.

Henry

Nice rainy day as I am painting some small, non critical parts, but had two flies that got in my spraying room. Didn't bother as much this time, but made me laugh thinking of this topic. That time of year again in Green bay, Flies are trying to get out of the cold.

I also learned not to paint around sunset.[/QUOTE]

OH AINT THAT THE TRUTH. Those big millers come flopping in for a crash landing and you just know hes going to end up on the hood. Then hes going to still have enough energy to flop right over on his back. From there he gets at least 3 full back strokes before he sort of freezes in place looking like a miniature upside down hood ornament. If by some fluke he hits the trunk lid instead count yourself lucky.....

Quote Originally Posted by drizler View Post
    OH AINT THAT THE TRUTH. Those big millers come flopping in for a crash landing and you just know he’s going to end up on the hood. Then he’s going to still have enough energy to flop right over on his back. From there he gets at least 3 full back strokes before he sort of freezes in place looking like a miniature upside down hood ornament. If by some fluke he hits the trunk lid instead count yourself lucky.....
    Last Saturday it was California freezing (under 70) and I had a little setback on the graphics on my motorcycle tank (wrinkled BC). It ended up setting me back a little more than expected and I didn't finish up until around 9:30 pm. I don't have a heater where I shoot my paint but my 65 Caddy's garage just next to my spray area does. After letting the clear set up in my spray area I moved the tank and stand over to let it settle in for the night next to the Caddy with the heater on all night. I get it over there, heater on, I'm beat down tired and admiring my work thinking how good a cold one would taste right now (being a big time rookie I impress easily), and sure as .... as I'm staring at my tank, some little winged creature plops right down on the top of the still soft clear!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post
    Last Saturday it was California freezing (under 70) and I had a little setback on the graphics on my motorcycle tank (wrinkled BC). It ended up setting me back a little more than expected and I didn't finish up until around 9:30 pm. I don't have a heater where I shoot my paint but my 65 Caddy's garage just next to my spray area does. After letting the clear set up in my spray area I moved the tank and stand over to let it settle in for the night next to the Caddy with the heater on all night. I get it over there, heater on, I'm beat down tired and admiring my work thinking how good a cold one would taste right now (being a big time rookie I impress easily), and sure as .... as I'm staring at my tank, some little winged creature plops right down on the top of the still soft clear!!!!!!!!
    We couldn't operate nearly as efficiently as we do if we didn't have our heat lamp. It helps speed the hardening of fillers, primers and paint and even helps keep me warm if it gets cold in the shop.

Out in the shop tonight prepping a wheel.

This guy is a bit too early for the party.....
    Attached Images Attached Images