TheCoatingStore.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Tracking down fisheye problem

  1. #1

    Default Tracking down fisheye problem

    I've been painting for many years. I've dealt with the occasional fisheyes. I recently moved into a new shop. I'm dealing with fisheyes in just about everything we spray. Multiple materials, spray equipment. Our shop is clean of the typical products that cause issues. Like I said, I've been painting for awhile. It hit me today. There is a tire shop next door. They spray Armol on every set of tires they install. I talked to them today. They also do brakes. And I know brake cleaners often have silicone in them. What are the odds the tire shop next door to me is contaminating my shop and causing fisheyes?
    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    35,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Graves View Post
    I've been painting for many years. I've dealt with the occasional fisheyes. I recently moved into a new shop. I'm dealing with fisheyes in just about everything we spray. Multiple materials, spray equipment. Our shop is clean of the typical products that cause issues. Like I said, I've been painting for awhile. It hit me today. There is a tire shop next door. They spray Armol on every set of tires they install. I talked to them today. They also do brakes. And I know brake cleaners often have silicone in them. What are the odds the tire shop next door to me is contaminating my shop and causing fisheyes?
    Thank you
    We have a shop near us that was having a similar problem off and on for a long time and they finally realized that the burger joint down the block was putting out cooking grease causing their booth to inhale the grease and cause their problems. We are very careful not to spray any oil or silicon products in our shop and we wash our jobs before we sand then again before we spray and we use a good filter on our compressor's air.


  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    We have a shop near us that was having a similar problem off and on for a long time and they finally realized that the burger joint down the block was putting out cooking grease causing their booth to inhale the grease and cause their problems. We are very careful not to spray any oil or silicon products in our shop and we wash our jobs before we sand then again before we spray and we use a good filter on our compressor's air.

    It's not our air compressors. That we know. It's an air born contaminate. I've gone through everything in our shop. But the tire shop next door uses silicone sprays, Armol sprays, and brake cleaners. My concern is that the products being used next door are finding a way into my shop.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    We have a shop near us that was having a similar problem off and on for a long time and they finally realized that the burger joint down the block was putting out cooking grease causing their booth to inhale the grease and cause their problems. We are very careful not to spray any oil or silicon products in our shop and we wash our jobs before we sand then again before we spray and we use a good filter on our compressor's air.

    We are getting fisheyes even with clicker cans. And airless pumps.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    249

    Default

    i would say its the shop next door and Armoral/silicone spray......

    do they spray Armoral with the shop doors open and yours doors open at the same time?...are they spraying tru bottles or some pressurrized system?

    are the two shops connected trough air system somehow, exhausts, heating etc?

    Armoral is very hard to eliminate if used constantly...


    i sometimes get fisheyes if diesel tow truck that brings accident cars parks in the front of my spray booth doors outside, about 10 meters away !....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NORTH JUAREZ
    Posts
    2,626

    Default

    That's a no brainer easy to fix just throw away your crappy old paint guns and compressor and get a turbine sprayer!!
    If itís tourist season, why canít we shoot them?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Francisco bay area California
    Posts
    20,194

    Default

    I have to tell you this very thing happened to me at my shop, it was frightening, it was so damn overwhelming! I had to farm out my paint work, it was IMPOSSIBLE to paint something. I went through the building checking the other shops and found nothing. I did find that it seemed to be not from the gun, compressor or anything like that, it was on the surface of the part being painted. I remember doing some small jamb work before sending it out to the shop I was farming it out to and as clear as my keyboard is in front of me that image is forever in my mind of a triangle of fish eye that remained after I wiped it just before painting it.

    But I never found what was happening, I am sorry to say I have no advice. It came like the sun coming up and a few months later it was gone just like it came and I never figured out what it was!


    Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Francisco bay area California
    Posts
    20,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    i would say its the shop next door and Armoral/silicone spray......

    do they spray Armoral with the shop doors open and yours doors open at the same time?...are they spraying tru bottles or some pressurrized system?

    are the two shops connected trough air system somehow, exhausts, heating etc?

    Armoral is very hard to eliminate if used constantly...


    i sometimes get fisheyes if diesel tow truck that brings accident cars parks in the front of my spray booth doors outside, about 10 meters away !....
    Yep!

    Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

  9. #9

    Default Oil your spray gun?

    I just starting my Devilbiss Fl4 gun and they have a lube for it. I ordered it but when I went to pick it up, the guy at the store told me has 4 SATA guns and he never puts any lube on them. I immediately thought about this thread and decided it was too risky to put any on my gun. What do you think about this?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    35,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by f3user View Post
    I just starting my Devilbiss Fl4 gun and they have a lube for it. I ordered it but when I went to pick it up, the guy at the store told me has 4 SATA guns and he never puts any lube on them. I immediately thought about this thread and decided it was too risky to put any on my gun. What do you think about this?
    I've been lubricating my guns EVERY TIME I reassemble them for many many years and I've never had a problem. I apply a drop of the DeVilbiss lube to the needle before I insert it.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I've been lubricating my guns EVERY TIME I reassemble them for many many years and I've never had a problem. I apply a drop of the DeVilbiss lube to the needle before I insert it.
    Well, I value your experience. Is that the only place you apply it? Just a drop to help it slide through the packing gland?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    35,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by f3user View Post
    Well, I value your experience. Is that the only place you apply it? Just a drop to help it slide through the packing gland?
    Put very little on the needle near the tip then rotate the needle between your thumb and index finger before inserting it. That will help the needle slide smoothly through the packing.

    I also put a drop on the air plunger behind the trigger then pull the trigger a couple times to distribute the oil.

    Lubricating these two areas will help insure smoother action when your gun is in use.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •