TheCoatingStore.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Ho do you guys fix (without new hinges)the louse GMC door sag???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    174

    Thumbs down Ho do you guys fix (without new hinges)the louse GMC door sag???

    I've fixed and numbers mine over the years so I know it's not as simple as the new pins and bushings that I've done on at least three in my trucks and to several friends. What I mean is the real fix to stop the wallowed out egg shaped hinges . On virtually every one by the time the door sag is irritating enough to address the bushings the doors still hit low enough the bushings are worn out again in a few months tops.
    So I'm ready to do another one I just did a week ago as well as the mine from last year yet again. Besides a new hinge set what really works??
    Are the nutted style really workable To maintain some kind of vertical on that egged hole piece?
    What about forcing a nut tightly up on the underside stub and welding it to maintain vertical.
    What about simply putting the door on there with the hinge in the new pins.jacking into the proper position and welding the pin where it needs to be. From what I've read people don't like it because it's hard to cut out of there next time around. On the other hand you probably won't be a next time around if the damn thing would stay in position now wear itself out.
    Lastly why am earth does a company as big as General Motors allow this idiocy to continue over decades and not just make the hinges strong enough in the first place? It's pretty obvious that the hinges working surfaces are just too darn light what's the matter With these morons?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,868

    Default You OK?

    Quote Originally Posted by drizler View Post
    I've fixed and numbers mine over the years so I know it's not as simple as the new pins and bushings that I've done on at least three in my trucks and to several friends. What I mean is the real fix to stop the wallowed out egg shaped hinges . On virtually every one by the time the door sag is irritating enough to address the bushings the doors still hit low enough the bushings are worn out again in a few months tops.
    So I'm ready to do another one I just did a week ago as well as the mine from last year yet again. Besides a new hinge set what really works??
    Are the nutted style really workable To maintain some kind of vertical on that egged hole piece?
    What about forcing a nut tightly up on the underside stub and welding it to maintain vertical.
    What about simply putting the door on there with the hinge in the new pins.jacking into the proper position and welding the pin where it needs to be. From what I've read people don't like it because it's hard to cut out of there next time around. On the other hand you probably won't be a next time around if the damn thing would stay in position now wear itself out.
    Lastly why am earth does a company as big as General Motors allow this idiocy to continue over decades and not just make the hinges strong enough in the first place? It's pretty obvious that the hinges working surfaces are just too darn light what's the matter With these morons?
    You seem annoyed by this thing today. Maybe you could post a couple picture of what you mean. Yea, I've had my share of GM hinge pin/bushing replacements and never had to do it again. I'm confused in that the hinge section welded to the door frame (not the door) have a top and a bottom. For the door side hinge to fit back in and the pin to go up or down straight does not allow me to picture what you mean.

    If you open the door only say a foot and pick up at the bottom (handle side), is there movement in you pins/hinge? If so, the only thing I found many years ago was replacement OVER SIZED bushings & pins as the holes tend to have gotten larger. Not even sure if over sized is still an option anymore. You gotta keep these things lubed through the years with water proof White Grease (lithium grease) which is harder to come by today as well.

    Although a pain in the ass, I would rather the pins/bushings than some other alternatives other makers use. I do the top and bottom both at the same time ALONE other than the help of my jack and keeping the door leaned inward.

    Henry

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    You seem annoyed by this thing today. Maybe you could post a couple picture of what you mean. Yea, I've had my share of GM hinge pin/bushing replacements and never had to do it again. I'm confused in that the hinge section welded to the door frame (not the door) have a top and a bottom. For the door side hinge to fit back in and the pin to go up or down straight does not allow me to picture what you mean.

    If you open the door only say a foot and pick up at the bottom (handle side), is there movement in you pins/hinge? If so, the only thing I found many years ago was replacement OVER SIZED bushings & pins as the holes tend to have gotten larger. Not even sure if over sized is still an option anymore. You gotta keep these things lubed through the years with water proof White Grease (lithium grease) which is harder to come by today as well.

    Although a pain in the ass, I would rather the pins/bushings than some other alternatives other makers use. I do the top and bottom both at the same time ALONE other than the help of my jack and keeping the door leaned inward.

    Henry
    Henry i find it amazing that you can fix gm doors with the pin bushing set only and get away with it every time like that. If the doors holes are egged out even slightly it's going to mangle the new bushing in short order. You look on the forums those doors are the GM plague. Not a whole lot of ideas they are kicking around either. Welding up the egg and re drilling is about the best one ive seen as long as there's a way to hit it straight. I use a lot of epoxy and jb weld but while some use that to fill the egg I doubt it's a good choice. Some say jack the door in place and tack it well In place without the bushing. I'd have to see that one before I'd go there.
    As for oversized maybe you shop guys have some way of getting them but I see none out there. I'm surprised the aftermarketers haven't hopped on that bandwagon.
    Oh well I'll get a chance to figure something out. My buddies we did last week , clip style are as bad as before. Mine that I did a year ago did the same. We're going to try the nutted style. If nothing else it will provide the support the clip style lack and if needed something better to weld to.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,868

    Default No shop guys...

    Quote Originally Posted by drizler View Post
    Henry i find it amazing that you can fix gm doors with the pin bushing set only and get away with it every time like that. If the doors holes are egged out even slightly it's going to mangle the new bushing in short order. You look on the forums those doors are the GM plague. Not a whole lot of ideas they are kicking around either. Welding up the egg and re drilling is about the best one ive seen as long as there's a way to hit it straight. I use a lot of epoxy and jb weld but while some use that to fill the egg I doubt it's a good choice. Some say jack the door in place and tack it well In place without the bushing. I'd have to see that one before I'd go there.
    As for oversized maybe you shop guys have some way of getting them but I see none out there. I'm surprised the aftermarketers haven't hopped on that bandwagon.
    Oh well I'll get a chance to figure something out. My buddies we did last week , clip style are as bad as before. Mine that I did a year ago did the same. We're going to try the nutted style. If nothing else it will provide the support the clip style lack and if needed something better to weld to.
    Unfortunately CARQUEST is no longer since 99% bought out. They had two styles there. One was hanging on those HELP displays but when I need the over sized they were able to get them for me within a day. As I said, this was years ago.

    You know, you said aftermarket for something like that and to me, just the opposite. Don't know about you but I see less stuff offered in auto parts stores than we had before. Seems if it sells, STOCK IT, if it don't or moves slowly, do not restock. I don't like the trends I'm seeing take place. Then, there's the quality of the brand X crap they stock these days. Check the kit out below:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaBymJ__VAQ Next one is Google page of over sized posts:

    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1280&bih=621

    Listen, sorry about your experience with the out of round holes. I've honestly not had the headaches you guys are facing. No wonder why you're annoyed. Good luck.

    Henry

    Just found this from Total Auto. Photo Bucket won't show any pictures but you can read the claims of user feedback toward the end:

    https://www.totalauto.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Unfortunately CARQUEST is no longer since 99% bought out. They had two styles there. One was hanging on those HELP displays but when I need the over sized they were able to get them for me within a day. As I said, this was years ago.

    You know, you said aftermarket for something like that and to me, just the opposite. Don't know about you but I see less stuff offered in auto parts stores than we had before. Seems if it sells, STOCK IT, if it don't or moves slowly, do not restock. I don't like the trends I'm seeing take place. Then, there's the quality of the brand X crap they stock these days. Check the kit out below:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaBymJ__VAQ Next one is Google page of over sized posts:

    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1280&bih=621

    Listen, sorry about your experience with the out of round holes. I've honestly not had the headaches you guys are facing. No wonder why you're annoyed. Good luck.

    Henry

    Just found this from Total Auto. Photo Bucket won't show any pictures but you can read the claims of user feedback toward the end:

    https://www.totalauto.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14


    Thanks for the links funny I didn't see any of those when I was doing my pretty extensive digging the other night. Well they don't give those hinges away either @150 to do a door. I guess that explains why they don't sell through the usual sources.
    Well I have my buddies old beast we did the hinge and last week we're going to hit again and of course mines a mess like it was immediately after I did the pins last year and both are coming up. I think I'm going to get in there and try a trick that somebody said machine shop shoes for these things sticking a copper rod into that hinge hole and welding it on the egg side. I don't have any copper rod that size but I just happen to have a nice brass one that should do the trick and that leave too much if anything too drill. Between the nuts style pins and welding up those eggs it just might work. I guess since I made the entire rear frame for this truck after their wonderful OEM tinfoil just got in the way welding up and act out hole can't be much of an effort. I'll let you know how it goes.
    It really sucks that Chevy went andmade new hinges and left it with the same problem and had on first place. And honesty about all he did was just make it easier to take the door off to work on. On the other hand you think that if they're going to go to all that trouble they might've address the initial issue they had a for decades. Doesn't say much for their quality. Doesn't get much better someday I'll have to switch over to Dodge
    and I swore I'd never go there.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,868

    Default Leaking gaskets...

    Quote Originally Posted by drizler View Post
    Thanks for the links funny I didn't see any of those when I was doing my pretty extensive digging the other night. Well they don't give those hinges away either @150 to do a door. I guess that explains why they don't sell through the usual sources.
    Well I have my buddies old beast we did the hinge and last week we're going to hit again and of course mines a mess like it was immediately after I did the pins last year and both are coming up. I think I'm going to get in there and try a trick that somebody said machine shop shoes for these things sticking a copper rod into that hinge hole and welding it on the egg side. I don't have any copper rod that size but I just happen to have a nice brass one that should do the trick and that leave too much if anything too drill. Between the nuts style pins and welding up those eggs it just might work. I guess since I made the entire rear frame for this truck after their wonderful OEM tinfoil just got in the way welding up and act out hole can't be much of an effort. I'll let you know how it goes.
    It really sucks that Chevy went andmade new hinges and left it with the same problem and had on first place. And honesty about all he did was just make it easier to take the door off to work on. On the other hand you think that if they're going to go to all that trouble they might've address the initial issue they had a for decades. Doesn't say much for their quality. Doesn't get much better someday I'll have to switch over to Dodge
    and I swore I'd never go there.
    I like to say I'm a GM person but come on. Why put the same plastic intake manifold gaskets on the 4.3, 3.1 & 5, the 3800 and others. Why? They all will end up weak and leak. The repair part I use is FEL PRO and what a difference. Last one I did was on one of my 4.3's and a big pain in the ass.

    Ford and their aluminum painted parts where the paint bubbles and the aluminum was not worked in a correct manner. Yet, we keep buying all this shit and they keep turning it out.

    AND, the only thing between you and the road, I used to say, is your tires. Well go one step further and include the wheels. American Racing Wheels has been making some nice looking chrome over aluminum wheels for many auto manufacturers. Problem is the aluminum wheels are actually DETERIORATING to the point of breaking. Worst thing, there is no factory fix, dealers won't talk to you about it and NHTSA will not even get involved in an investigation or recall.

    If you live near me, you can take care of some of my crap and I'll do your doors. Amazing how all the junk keeps on going on. We used to refer to all this as, "Shit In, Shit Out". Later

    Henry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •