TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Primer vs sealer

Default Primer vs sealer

I'm in the process of ordering supplies for a winter project. I'm wondering if it's better to use a sealer to get a uniform color to paint over or if primer is better? I'll be covering a bright yellow paint job in pretty good condition. It's an off road rig so it does have some rock rash that I'll prob just sand down and spot prime...I'll be using bc/cc from tcp global
    The last jeep I painted, I just primed it, then wet sanded. It came out pretty decent for a noob.
    Any input is appreciated!
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Bosox View Post
    I'm in the process of ordering supplies for a winter project. I'm wondering if it's better to use a sealer to get a uniform color to paint over or if primer is better? I'll be covering a bright yellow paint job in pretty good condition. It's an off road rig so it does have some rock rash that I'll prob just sand down and spot prime...I'll be using bc/cc from tcp global
    The last jeep I painted, I just primed it, then wet sanded. It came out pretty decent for a noob.
    Any input is appreciated!
    -Matt
    If the surface is fairly consistant and you're using "good" quality paint products you can probably get away without a sealer. If you have areas that can absorb the solvents differently or you're using low cost paint then sealer may be a wise investment.

I think I'll seal it. Paint surface is pretty good but I have parts that are different colors... Does sealer get sanded?

sealer has multiple purposes,

promotes adhesion
    makes everything a uniform color
    fills sand scratches

i would recommend always using a sealer,
    chances are your primer can be hardened and reduced as a sealer.

no you do not sand it, but some you can dirt nib

Any recommendations for sealer brands?

Any recommendations for sealer brands?

I use Valspar CPS2035 epoxy.

What kind of window do I have to spray basecoat after sealer?

That depends on a few different things. But if using proper reducer for temp and proper mil build 15 minutes is a good place to start. Maybe more maybe less. Also depends on the sealer you're using.

The one I mentioned I wait about 15-20 minutes at 70 degrees

Default Read...

What kind of window do I have to spray basecoat after sealer?
    Read the data sheets for all products.

Anytime I use sealer I plan to paint as soon as the sealer allows me to. Reason is, sealer is intended to be topcoated and is a little fussy in that you're not supposed to sand it and at best you can tack rag it off and shoot your paint. The longer it sits the better chance you have of gathering contaminants on it so then what?

How long did you want to wait and why? If it's not sealed yet then don't do it an plan to seal when ready to paint.

Henry
    Last edited by Henry; 10-09-2017 at 11:53 PM.

I guess I will plan on sealing it, then painting as soon as possible according to the data sheet.
    I'll plan on a looong day...

I guess I will plan on sealing it, then painting as soon as possible according to the data sheet.
    I'll plan on a looong day...
    i always plan a long day even if there's no sealer involved. that way there's no rush, and you can relax and just think about whats in front of you. leave the phone somewhere else, enjoy the process.
    the sealer doesn't really add much time anyway, just another trip around the car. i bet by the time you get your gun cleaned, it will be time for paint.
    b marler

Good point, no sense in rushing. I'll set aside a full weekend

I had been using House of Kolor KD3000 for years as a dtm primer and sealer depending on reduction. I have switched over to tamco 5310 and do the same thing with it as I have been the hok. It's a lot cheaper and performs as good if not better. They have a sealer too but I find that reducing the primer does the same thing.