TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Polish and foam pad only after 5000 grit???

Default Polish and foam pad only after 5000 grit???

Can you just use fine polish after 5000 grit sandpaper ???

Default You could!

Quote Originally Posted by New painter boy View Post
    Can you just use fine polish after 5000 grit sandpaper ???
    WELCOME ABOARD!

There is a lot of theory in the final finish world. Yes, you could do as you asked. Your outcome is unknown, however. Depends on how well your graduation of grits up to the 5000 came out and what might be 'hiding' below. Did you use any compound after initial sanding and what grit did you start with? What surface condition did you start with; shiny with a couple dust particles, orange peel heavy or light? NOTE: I'm assuming you are talking about basecoat clearcoat new paint. Correct this assumption if it is wrong.

Also, this site has a top shelf, RESIDENT EXPERT in these areas. He name is Robert with many links here. Let me know if you've not seen what he shows and has to say and I'll post hi work for you. Nice to learn from the best.

Bottom line, you can try an area say 2 ft square with a foam pad and polish intended for colorsanding & buffing and see what you get. What kind of products are you using on what type of buffer and pads? How many coats of clear are on the surface?

Henry

Lots of questions but these are a few of the variables involved. Keep in mind, you can see what you have and what you've done and we can't.

Just as Henry said it depends on if you removed the other sanding scratches completely. I normally use a compounding pad and compound over 3000 grit. What I use is a diminishing abrasive so there isn't a need for a polish afterwards.

You'll spend more money in paper and sanding time, than just using a wool buff. I would never even consider this myself. 5000 ?? Never
    Pete's Ponies
    Mustang RUSToration & Performance

Default Yes & No...

Quote Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
    You'll spend more money in paper and sanding time, than just using a wool buff. I would never even consider this myself. 5000 ?? Never
    I agree with you. Let me add, when finishing film first came out, I bought some here from Len. I got it, looked at it, had a short throw DA (3/32) and it stayed in a cabinet for well over 6 months. Then, watching and listening to people on this site demonstrate the advantage, I finally tried it. I never looked back. Still wet sand certain things or areas but the DA does it all for me since then. I would have NEVER thought there was anything other than wet sanding and it was just a way of life.

As for 5000, I've never tried it but there are those who do use it with high regard. Then, there's our Resident Expert, ROBERT, who brings and shows a wide range of the latest in paint finishing.

Bottom line, I agree with you but I think 'maybe because I haven't tried it'.

Henry

Default 3 coats of clear

The car that's painter is white with 3 coats of clear 1000 1500 2000 then3000 then 5000 paper on it was asking so I don't get swirl marks

Quote Originally Posted by New painter boy View Post
    The car that's painter is white with 3 coats of clear 1000 1500 2000 then3000 then 5000 paper on it was asking so I don't get swirl marks
    Why did you have to point out that the cars painter is white? Just kidding I've never really seen the need to go past 3000 honestly.