TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 63 Falcon frame question

Default 63 Falcon frame question

Hello all,
    Making good progress on my Falcon and I have a couple of questions. I replaced the front floor pans and installed sub frame connectors, I did my level best to make sure everything was square when doing the repairs. How can I go about checking to make sure the unibody has remained straight and if not are there still people who check and straighten any twists that I may have introduced? The car is now in primer with no drive train do I check now or after I put in the engine and transmission and lastly, I'm in Silver Spring MD near Wash. DC does anyone know anybody locally who could check this out?

Thanks
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by mayerst View Post
    Hello all,
    Making good progress on my Falcon and I have a couple of questions. I replaced the front floor pans and installed sub frame connectors, I did my level best to make sure everything was square when doing the repairs. How can I go about checking to make sure the unibody has remained straight and if not are there still people who check and straighten any twists that I may have introduced? The car is now in primer with no drive train do I check now or after I put in the engine and transmission and lastly, I'm in Silver Spring MD near Wash. DC does anyone know anybody locally who could check this out?

Thanks
    Tom
    Look in your Yellow Pages under "Auto Body Repair" and call around and ask them if they have a frame machine that can measure the alignment of your vehicle. If they say yes then ask a price.

They may say that they need to see and measure the car before they can give a price.

Default In addition to Len...

Quote Originally Posted by mayerst View Post
    Hello all,

Thanks
    Tom
    I wish you had posted before you reworked the body. Often, you need to weld in some bracing to hold the rest of the structure square while you change out another section. One quick way of telling if you went out of square is hanging the doors, hood and decklid and check all gaps and closures.

I would also check around for FORD clubs where you might find more info on the Falcon (or all of its cousins). See what specs you can get from them or search the specs online. Be prepared, however, if you've welded in new stuff and those pieces moved squareness, any shop you go to may say they need those pieces moved. That's why I would try to fit the panels back on. I think the doors would be a big reveal.

Let us know how things fit.

Henry
    '

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I wish you had posted before you reworked the body. Often, you need to weld in some bracing to hold the rest of the structure square while you change out another section. One quick way of telling if you went out of square is hanging the doors, hood and decklid and check all gaps and closures.

I would also check around for FORD clubs where you might find more info on the Falcon (or all of its cousins). See what specs you can get from them or search the specs online. Be prepared, however, if you've welded in new stuff and those pieces moved squareness, any shop you go to may say they need those pieces moved. That's why I would try to fit the panels back on. I think the doors would be a big reveal.

Let us know how things fit.

Henry
    '

Thanks for the replies, I have hung the doors and they look pretty good.

Here is the "Basics of Basics" for frame measuring. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basi...ng-319474.html

Unfortunately with Photobucket playing games you may not be able to see the photos. But if you right click on them and "open in a new tab" you should be able to go to photo bucket to see them.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    Here is the "Basics of Basics" for frame measuring. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basi...ng-319474.html

Unfortunately with Photobucket playing games you may not be able to see the photos. But if you right click on them and "open in a new tab" you should be able to go to photo bucket to see them.

Brian
    Thanks, that's great.

Tom

Greetings, I agree with Henry on this one... find yourself a frame data sheet for you year and model , things were pretty basic years ago and NEVER perfect , tollerances of plus or minus a 1/4 inch were the norm . be sure to check the ball joint measurements also You will most likely find the spec sheet from a company called TRUWAY and believe me things were very basic years ago and often collision shop made corrections as they built and panel fitted the car back together, some advice I have is buy a basic tram gauge to use for accuracy, best regards Mike