TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perfect paint match vs Blending

yeah buddy not implying you do bad work, job look good.

for me painting at the level i paint at its just not acceptable.

like i said if you can sell it do it, thats what its all about anyway.

I completely undestand your view, painterdave...you always have great informative input, always appreciated...

If i can get to that level where i can pick and choose jobs with best possible outcome, i would too...

Blend it and send it...

thank you sir, i do think thats a well painted job there. ive owened my own shop and had to sell stuff often. keep doing what youre doing brother

I can see both sides of this debate,one for blend and one for trying to butt match when you try to keep a customer happy for a lower price. IMHO I am all for blending,it just makes life easier and the customer is happier.I am fortunate that I am just a peon but I work at a great shop that blends every job and gets paid for it(along with proper r and i). Our estimators make our customers aware why blending is so important for color match .Over the years we have learned if you end up having to redo it or spend hrs doing sprayouts a butt match isn't worth it,blend it and send it is my motto.Dont get me wrong bau bau I know exactly where you are coming from and you do nice work We just choose not to risk it anymore

For the little extra time it takes to blend the adjacent panel I always blend it whether it is on the estimate or not. It makes the customer happy and he will come back. No hassle from others in the shop pointing fingers at a mismatch and when I walk into the office for a coffee you don't have the boss looking out the window at a mismatch sitting in the parking lot for every customer to see. When you live in a small town where everybody knows everyone else, people see that, ask the owner where it was done and you lost their business, word gets around fast. The owner of the car might be ok with it and I'm not worried about the owner, more about what everyone else thinks. Nothing looks worse than a car with a fender with a bad match sticking out like a sore thumb driving around town and half the town asking the owner who painted their fender

Quote Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
    For the little extra time it takes to blend the adjacent panel I always blend it whether it is on the estimate or not. It makes the customer happy and he will come back. No hassle from others in the shop pointing fingers at a mismatch and when I walk into the office for a coffee you don't have the boss looking out the window at a mismatch sitting in the parking lot for every customer to see. When you live in a small town where everybody knows everyone else, people see that, ask the owner where it was done and you lost their business, word gets around fast. The owner of the car might be ok with it and I'm not worried about the owner, more about what everyone else thinks. Nothing looks worse than a car with a fender with a bad match sticking out like a sore thumb driving around town and half the town asking the owner who painted their fender
    Agree, after the car is done and away from the shop you have no control over the viewed quality.

"Where did you get it fixed? at XXXXX Shop. Looks like crap couldn't they get the color right? Customer - It was cheap."
    "I woldn't go there again"

I'm just getting back to autobody this coming year and where I worked you feel like your losing money turning away a customer. After all we are the professional and should be firm in our advice. In the case of blending into a poorer area we would blend into say the upper door area, avoid the rust and buff out the rest. Would look better IMHO.

Terry