TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 1958-59 Volkswagen L354 Cardinal Red Metallic?

Default 1958-59 Volkswagen L354 Cardinal Red Metallic?

Is anyone familiar with 1958-59 Volkswagen L354 Cardinal Red Metallic?

I'm trying to locate a company that makes this color in either an acrylic lacquer or acrylic urethane.

Quote Originally Posted by crowe-t View Post
    Is anyone familiar with 1958-59 Volkswagen L354 Cardinal Red Metallic?

I'm trying to locate a company that makes this color in either an acrylic lacquer or acrylic urethane.
    I just checked with one of the biggest suppliers on the east coast and he couldn't come up with anything. But if you have a sample or a painted panel you could have it scanned and get a real close match in acrylic urethane.

Thanks Len! I don't have a sample or a painted panel.

I spoke with someone at Axalta and they said they have the formula in both Chromabase or Chromapremier. I'm not familiar with these.

Is Chromabase and Chromapremier similar to acrylic urethane?

I could pick some up in one of these and spray a sample to have scanned and made in acrylic urethane.

Thanks Len! I don't have a sample or a painted panel.

I spoke with someone at Axalta and they said they have the formula in both Chromabase or Chromapremier. I'm not familiar with these.

Is Chromabase and Chromapremier similar to acrylic urethane?

I could pick some up in one of these and spray a sample to have scanned and made in acrylic urethane.
    Chromabase and Chromapremier are both base coats and would be clear coated with acrylic urethane clear. I've never used Chromapremier but they advertise that it covers well. I can tell you from my limited experience with Chromabase that it didn't cover well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I just checked with one of the biggest suppliers on the east coast and he couldn't come up with anything. But if you have a sample or a painted panel you could have it scanned and get a real close match in acrylic urethane.
    What's the smallest size sample that can be scanned?

What's the smallest size sample that can be scanned?
    Something the size of the typical gas door or larger is normally good.

I contacted Tamco and they can make me L354 Cardinal Red in acrylic urethane base coat. I have reducer I got from them. Tamco makes quality products.

I contacted Tamco and they can make me L354 Cardinal Red in acrylic urethane base coat. I have reducer I got from them. Tamco makes quality products.
    If you are painting a whole car then you better be sitting down when they tell you how much that paint is going to cost. Red metallics are notoriously high priced paint based on color.