TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Louvers for booth exhaust fan

Default Louvers for booth exhaust fan

I recently posted a question about installing my Jenny 20" explosion proof exhaust fan. In an effort to better understand how to best install that fan, I spoke with the manufacturer. During that discussion, they mentioned that there is a kit available to turn the "stock" louvers that come with their fan into servor-motor-actuated louvers. The part number is LF-M0 and I was told that Len sells them (not yet sure of the price).

However, I'm unimpressed with the louvers that came with this fan. The louvers appear to have been manufactured by Air Conditioning Products Co acpshutters.com
    The issue I have with the louvers that came with the fan is that they don't seal well at all, when closed. IMHO, all sorts of snow, wind, rain, bugs, flies, etc are going to get through these louvers.

So my questions are:
    (1) Does anyone have experience with these shutters and could comment on ways to improve how they seal?
    (2) Is it wise to add the servo-actuator kit which the rep from Jenny fans says WILL improve how tightly the louvers close?
    (3) Is there a different manufacturer -or- a different model louver from acpshutters - that would be a better choice to install?

Please keep in mind that I heat and cool the building this fan will be installed into, thus I'm trying to do a decent job of selecting good components for this huge hole I'm creating in the wall. :-)

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpegunguy View Post
    I recently posted a question about installing my Jenny 20" explosion proof exhaust fan. In an effort to better understand how to best install that fan, I spoke with the manufacturer. During that discussion, they mentioned that there is a kit available to turn the "stock" louvers that come with their fan into servor-motor-actuated louvers. The part number is LF-M0 and I was told that Len sells them (not yet sure of the price).

However, I'm unimpressed with the louvers that came with this fan. The louvers appear to have been manufactured by Air Conditioning Products Co acpshutters.com
    The issue I have with the louvers that came with the fan is that they don't seal well at all, when closed. IMHO, all sorts of snow, wind, rain, bugs, flies, etc are going to get through these louvers.

So my questions are:
    (1) Does anyone have experience with these shutters and could comment on ways to improve how they seal?
    (2) Is it wise to add the servo-actuator kit which the rep from Jenny fans says WILL improve how tightly the louvers close?
    (3) Is there a different manufacturer -or- a different model louver from acpshutters - that would be a better choice to install?

Please keep in mind that I heat and cool the building this fan will be installed into, thus I'm trying to do a decent job of selecting good components for this huge hole I'm creating in the wall. :-)

Thanks.
    We've sold quite a few of those fans with the louvers and never had a complaint but I haven't used them myself so I don't know the variables. I can see why the actuator kit would improve the seal because it pulls the louvers closed, I have a fan with an powered shutter in my house and it seals well. The powered shutter that I use is on the intake side of the fan with an un-powered shutter on the exhaust side.

When I installed my shop fan I put a filter box inside and when the fan wasn't used i pulled the filter and installed a piece of foam material that closed the opening and insulated the opening.

The warehouse that ships these fans and shutters for me doesn't show that "servor-motor-actuated" so you might want to check out another source for that.

I called Jenny again and was told the louver actuator motor is indeed part number is LF-M0. They said it retails for $204 but is probably less expensive through you (Len). Is this indeed something you sell?

Quote Originally Posted by sharpegunguy View Post
    I called Jenny again and was told the louver actuator motor is indeed part number is LF-M0. They said it retails for $204 but is probably less expensive through you (Len). Is this indeed something you sell?
    I can have it drop shipped to you for $179.50 plus shipping. This is a "special order" item and is not returnable.

I'm not sure many of them seal to the point they will keep bugs out? I could be wrong on that though. I have shutters I bought from Grainger that work pretty well, but they are gravity close. Not a problem with weather, but Bugs could still get around them I think. however I haven't had much trouble with that. sometimes high winds with briefly open them just enough to make some noise though.

Thanks Len for the price quote.... I'm still trying to decide if the louvers I have are the right product for me. I noticed that the acpshutters motor sits within the air stream, while some other manufacturers put the shutter motor outside of the air stream.... the latter seems like a better idea to me.

Anyway, I found this neat assembly which I'd like to discuss here. https://carljbushcompany.com/fans/fi...red-wall-fans/

This assembly puts the fan, motor, louvers and filter assembly all into one neat package. I am wondering if I could make such an assembly for the 20" explosion proof Jenny I already purchased. The major question I have about this carl j bush unit is that it runs the fan "backwards" from that of the Jenny. The Jenny fan does come with wiring instructions which specifies the motor can be operated in either direction, but perhaps this is a bad idea. On 2nd thought, I suspect I could just leave the Jenny fan spinning in the direction it came wired from the factory and still render a contraption as shown below.
    Suggestions?

carljbush_assembly.jpg

If the louver is on the outside of the filter the it shouldn't make much difference which side the shutter motor sits. You'll need to clean it once in a while no matter where the motor is located.

I don't understand what the benefit would be in running the fan backwards.

The louvers I purchased with my 20" Jenny explosion proof fan came with a single sheet of paper that recommends they should be mounted at least "1/3 the fan diameter away from the fan". For a 20" dia fan, that means I should maintain approx 7" between the fan and the louvers. Is this really necessary???

I'd like to minimize the amount of the fan and motor that protrudes into my shop space..... but if it is truly necessary to maintain 7" gap between the louvers and the fan, then the louvers must be mounted on the outside of the wall, with the fan mounted on the inside of the wall. It just happens that my shop wall is 7.5" thick.

Is it necessary to maintain the above-mentioned air-gap and if so, why? Thanks.

Thats an interesting question & I didn't realize there was specs on that. While I have no idea what the answer is, I would "guess" maybe it has something to do with airflow being disrupted & the fan not being as efficient because of it? maybe in the same way a jet boat impeller can cavitate if something disrupts the water flow? Or, maybe its just mechanical safety clearance? I really have no idea & thats just guessing. I am really interested in hearing the answer as well. My 18" tube-axial fan has the louvers just 3" from the end of the tube & maybe 6" from the fan blades. Interesting!