TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Any info/experience with Transtar Nomix basecoat paint

Default Any info/experience with Transtar Nomix basecoat paint

Ola....

Does anyone have any info, experience using, opinion or advice good/bad regarding Transtar no mix solvent basecoat high solids line of paint?....
    Coverage , drying times, any die back, etc...

Any input is appteciated mucho

Petar

I've just heard of this brand. Curious if they are good.

Default Hmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    Ola....

Does anyone have any info, experience using, opinion or advice good/bad regarding Transtar no mix solvent basecoat high solids line of paint?....
    Coverage , drying times, any die back, etc...

Any input is appteciated mucho

Petar
    Never heard of it. Tell you what though, you should PM our Phil V since he uses about everything from Transtar. Helps when they're down the street from you and you made friends at the company.

Henry

typicalcarguy Guest

It's junk,very poor color match,not very easy to spray and you have to over reduce the crap out of it to make it work.my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by typicalcarguy View Post
    It's junk,very poor color match,not very easy to spray and you have to over reduce the crap out of it to make it work.my 2 cents
    Oh too bad it is not a good option.

Well, i bought a quart of transtar high solids basecoat GM Olympic white, the paint rep scanned the color, explained to me it is mixed 1:1 1/2 and add little hardener, and so i am stuck with it.....it is only white color amd scaned so i am hopping it matches OK....

Typicalcar guy, i trust your opinion and i wish read it earlier, but now i gotta try this and see how it performs...

For solids, i use Valspar solvent, i strayed this time and i am only worried how this basecoat will blend because it is very very thick and has "obese" level of viscosity...

Well, i used this Transtar basecoat today.....extra reducer perhaps caused few fry ups and solvent pops on aftermarket bumper, which i did seal with transtae sealer, followed applicstion medium wet coat.....so i fixwd trouble spots and sprayed thinner coats, but it was little bit more grainy texture.....twoncoats of clear did make it smooth for GM orange peel finish...

I sprayed front end , 2 quarters and door with one quaet of base, so it does fover well.....color match is ok, not perfect despite being scaned...little bit more difficult to blend than Valspar, goes o little bit thicker, but dries quickbenough....

So,it is cost effwftive for solid colors, probably good for overalls and cheaper jobs, older cars..

I would not use it to mathc paint on newer cars, it is better than Omni line, but not as good as Valspar solvent...

That sounds not bad at all. Any pics of the result?