TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clearcoat sanding technique for mirror finish

i dont recall anyone mentioning sanding in different directions when you move up to a finer grit. for example, you can start with 800 wet in a criss cross pattern in one direction to cut all the peel out, then you can move up to 1000 or 1200 and sand in the opposite criss cross pattern so you can see if the previous scratches all come out. It has just been my method, hopefully some of you guys can find this helpful as it has been for me =)

Default Hand or Machine?

Quote Originally Posted by kidkombo View Post
    i dont recall anyone mentioning sanding in different directions when you move up to a finer grit. for example, you can start with 800 wet in a criss cross pattern in one direction to cut all the peel out, then you can move up to 1000 or 1200 and sand in the opposite criss cross pattern so you can see if the previous scratches all come out. It has just been my method, hopefully some of you guys can find this helpful as it has been for me =)
    I use a 3/32 throw DA and Finish Film for my colorsand process.

However, seldom still sand by hand (wet) and YES, I always criss-cross or X panel sand lightly (most likely due to habit) of decades ago.

Henry