TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Top coat over 1200 grit sanding?

Default Top coat over 1200 grit sanding?

So I painted my 65 Hipo Mustang a couple weeks ago and it turned out pretty nice, but a couple bugs decided to die on the top just as I finished. I am going to recoat the top of the mustang. I have it sanded down with 1200 right now, but wondering if I should go down to 1000 grit? I'm just going blend a little color in those areas and clear the whole top. It's Poppy Red (orange) solid color.

Any concerns spraying over 1200, or should I sand with 1000?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    So I painted my 65 Hipo Mustang a couple weeks ago and it turned out pretty nice, but a couple bugs decided to die on the top just as I finished. I am going to recoat the top of the mustang. I have it sanded down with 1200 right now, but wondering if I should go down to 1000 grit? I'm just going blend a little color in those areas and clear the whole top. It's Poppy Red (orange) solid color.

Any concerns spraying over 1200, or should I sand with 1000?

Thanks
    If you're using a low cost base coat paint it may pay to go with a more coarse grit but a good base and almost any single stage urethane should hold onto the 1200 grit scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If you're using a low cost base coat paint it may pay to go with a more coarse grit but a good base and almost any single stage urethane should hold onto the 1200 grit scratch.
    I wouldn't call it high end Middle of the road though. I think the 1200 should be OK, but just wanted to see what others thought. Thanks

Just curious, why did you sand it with 1200? Or were you not planning on re-spraying it at first?

Default Base?

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    I wouldn't call it high end Middle of the road though. I think the 1200 should be OK, but just wanted to see what others thought. Thanks
    Like to ask you how many coats of clear you had on? Reason why is, you said the bugs landed on the last coat. With 2 - 3 coats of clear just seems you should have been able to repair this without going through the clear.

Henry

Good luck!