TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 94 dodge stealth repaint

Default 94 dodge stealth repaint

Figured this was a better spot to post questions and progress on this repaint. I initially asked questions here http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...cally-good-car

This car is my brothers 1994 dodge stealth. He's put a 1999 Mitsubishi 3000gt front bumper cover on the car. He's torn the car apart and its in the shop getting ready for paint.

IMG_4858.jpgIMG_4857.jpg
    Avid collector of rust!

So I've got a couple questions.

This fiberglass/plastic piece goes over the windows. It's got a chip in it. I'm think about just using regular filler as it's a small chip. Is there a better way? Short strand fiberglass filler, fusor, or?
    stealth1.jpg

This black plastic piece goes around the windows. The bolt mounting hole here has cracks, but isn't gone yet. Is there a thin glue / epoxy to put in this to reinforce it? I'm hesitant to put a heavy epoxy over it because I dont' want to make it thick and affect the way it sits on the car.
    stealth2.jpg

Also getting ahead of myself, but is there any tips on how to handle this joint? It shows a lot of the door jamb where the moulding pulls in.
    stealth3.jpg

Thanks
    Jeremy
    Avid collector of rust!

You can use regular body filler on that chip but it will remain quite delicate. I would probably feather it then apply a short strand fiberglass filler, level it then tweak it with some body filler.

On the black plastic I would V the cracks with a cutoff disk or small grinding disk then spray with adhesion promoter and use a rigid plastic repair adhesive.

Len thanks for the tips.

I did feather that first chip and used fiberglass filler followed up with glazing putty for the final shape. Worked great. Thanks!

I haven't attacked the black piece yet. Could I use the Fusor 152 on it instead? I realize that's a flexible filler, but wondered about using it as it's just reinforcing the piece.

Ok so I started removing the dodge pentapar symbol on the front fenders and the mitsubishi symbol on the front. I ground them down with about a 36-50 grit 2" sanding disk then filled them with fusor 152. The drivers side and front bumper piece adhered well, but the passenger side piece fell off during sanding. I used bulldog adhesion promotor on all three spots. I'm wondering if I didn't shoot enough material through the mixing tip before applying to the car. Thus the passenger side was the first spot I did and it may not have been mixed well? The back of the repair material still felt tacky to me. I waited 12+ hours before sanding on it. I redid the passenger side and will hit it again today. I'll try to grab some pictures.

Thanks
    Jeremy
    Avid collector of rust!

Quote Originally Posted by junk View Post
    Len thanks for the tips.

I did feather that first chip and used fiberglass filler followed up with glazing putty for the final shape. Worked great. Thanks!

I haven't attacked the black piece yet. Could I use the Fusor 152 on it instead? I realize that's a flexible filler, but wondered about using it as it's just reinforcing the piece.

Ok so I started removing the dodge pentapar symbol on the front fenders and the mitsubishi symbol on the front. I ground them down with about a 36-50 grit 2" sanding disk then filled them with fusor 152. The drivers side and front bumper piece adhered well, but the passenger side piece fell off during sanding. I used bulldog adhesion promotor on all three spots. I'm wondering if I didn't shoot enough material through the mixing tip before applying to the car. Thus the passenger side was the first spot I did and it may not have been mixed well? The back of the repair material still felt tacky to me. I waited 12+ hours before sanding on it. I redid the passenger side and will hit it again today. I'll try to grab some pictures.

Thanks
    Jeremy
    The Bulldog adhesion promoter should work. It's best to apply the AP twice, apply it, wait for it to dry a little then hit it again. Be sure that the AP is fairly dry before you apply the adhesive.

Most of the time I don't use the mixing tips, I just pump it out onto a mixing board, mix it with a putty knife and put it on. I think that the mixing tips use too much material.

I normally do hit the AP twice. With a flash inbetween. I'm wondering if I go the plastic hot when I sanded it and it got "greasy". Released the oils in the plastic? I cleaned it well with SWX350 and went straight to polyflex the last time and everything stick very well and feathered out great. Now I'm in primer on the body.

Question on the front bumper. Where I have polyflex and raw bumper would you use adhesion promotor over all of that?

Thanks
    Jeremy

stealth12.jpgstealth13.jpgstealth14.jpgstealth15.jpg
    Avid collector of rust!