TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappy A$$ Fiberglass Hood ?s.

Default Crappy A$$ Fiberglass Hood ?s.

I found a fiberglass hood for a new edge mustang, I like the looks, but the gel coat is crack every where, and it seems a little flimsy. But for the right price, I could fix it, reinforce it. But how do you fix the cracks or prep the hood for repair?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    I found a fiberglass hood for a new edge mustang, I like the looks, but the gel coat is crack every where, and it seems a little flimsy. But for the right price, I could fix it, reinforce it. But how do you fix the cracks or prep the hood for repair?

Thanks.
    Does the hood have bracing under the skin? If so does is the bracing bonded to the skin?

As far as the cracks in the gel coat go I'd probably sand it down with some 120 grit then spray a new gel coat or even Slick Sand then block sand to level and smooth the surface. But you should make sure that the skin is stable before you attack the gel coat problem.

No, there is no bracing under the hood. I was hoping to just use a high build primer on it. I was thinking of bonding some wood to support it.

Thanks.

No, there is no bracing under the hood. I was hoping to just use a high build primer on it. I was thinking of bonding some wood to support it.

Thanks.
    Anything that will help stop the skin from fluttering will also help stop it from cracking. You can use a high build primer like Slick Sand but I would give it a good sanding with some 120+- before priming, guide coating and block sanding.

my experience with gelcoat cracks is that if you just blow something over the top the cracks will come back. i usually open the cracks up with a dremel or similar, then use a high quality epoxy to fill the gouge. at least that's my method for marine stuff, i don't have much automotive fiberglass experience but assume it must be similar.
    b marler

I bought it, here is the deal, it does have a under side support, it is separating for the top. Here are some pics to get an ideal of the issues.
    It has some chipping on the sides, has a broken area in the under support, not bad, and may be you can see the cracks in the gel coat.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So, what is the best way to bond the two halves back together?

Thanks.

Thanks.
    If you're talking about the supports under the skin and the skin there are a couple of different products. If they don't need to be fastened together you can use Fusor Seam Sealer but if you want to fasten the the supports solid I'd recommend using Fusor T21 plastic repair adhesive. The seam sealer is used with a standard caulk gun while the T21 takes a dispenser gun shown below.

Thanks.
    you should post a pic of the underside that needs re-bonding. it the damaged area one that was actually glassed together originally? many times when builders attach two fiberglass panels together they use polyester resin and vacuum bag them. i don't know if this is how yours was done, i've never seen one of those in person. curious though.
    b marler

Here are the pics. See what you guys think.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks like they bonded that with polyester resin. lots of new fiberglass parts are formed with a resin starved layup to reduce weight. as a result they may not have the strength of traditional layup. since the areas that need to be bonded back together are pretty rough, lens suggestion of plastic adhesive is probably a good one. it will have good gap filling properties. if it were me, i'd use west system epoxy because i always have it on hand, but there's nothing wrong with the fusor stuff, especially if you already have the dispenser.
    those cracks where it fractured the bracing are a different story. you will probably want to grind all the gelcoat back to expose the glass substrate, gouge out the crack a bit. (think of dishing out the area in a smooth radius, maybe 6-8 inches long.) then lay up some more glass to repair the area. i don't really have much gelcoat experience, so i would just use good epoxy primer over the whole thing after the repair. just be sure to clean the gelcoat well before you scuff it, in case of mold release agents remaining on the surface. i've had good luck with the epoxy, it adheres well to the scuffed gelcoat.
    you'll be able to fix it, probably better than new.
    b marler

Be sure that the hood is the proper shape and matches the curves of the fenders before you do the repairs. We had to cut the supports on a Vette hood so that we could bend and reinforce it into the proper shape.

Once you have the shape right you can put reinforcements where they are needed so that you don't have more cracking down the road. You can reinforce with pieces of fiberglass, metal or wood as long as you use a good bonding material to hold it in place.

I've used metal backers and rivets to bridge across cracks in fiberglass.
    Avid collector of rust!

Quote Originally Posted by junk View Post
    I've used metal backers and rivets to bridge across cracks in fiberglass.
    The problem with rivets is that they can weaken the fiberglass structure, using an adhesive works a lot better but it can be more expensive.

I was hoping to just grind down the fractured areas and just fill it with the bonding agent.

Thanks.