TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: dust in paint booth

Default dust in paint booth

Hello. So I've painted 2 cars in my "paint booth" which is actually just half of my garage. Way too much dust. It's about 17' x 28' with 12' ceiling. one side is a wall, another a garage door, and the other 2 sides are curtains. I put some time into the curtains and they are sealed up good (snaps at the top and weighted at the bottom). There are 2 inlets for air that have screens (like window screen). I couldn't use a filter because it restricted the air flow too much. My exit is a roof fan (like a whole house fan). So I think my problem is....all the stuff is going up and falling back on the car. The air flow sucks (or actually doesnt suck). My whole floor turns the color of the car. I think I have a design problem here. I know down draft is better. What do you think about installing a fan low down?

Quote Originally Posted by mike111 View Post
    Hello. So I've painted 2 cars in my "paint booth" which is actually just half of my garage. Way too much dust. It's about 17' x 28' with 12' ceiling. one side is a wall, another a garage door, and the other 2 sides are curtains. I put some time into the curtains and they are sealed up good (snaps at the top and weighted at the bottom). There are 2 inlets for air that have screens (like window screen). I couldn't use a filter because it restricted the air flow too much. My exit is a roof fan (like a whole house fan). So I think my problem is....all the stuff is going up and falling back on the car. The air flow sucks (or actually doesnt suck). My whole floor turns the color of the car. I think I have a design problem here. I know down draft is better. What do you think about installing a fan low down?
    A low fan will probably work better than one in the roof but you also need to prep the car, your cloths and the room before you spray. If I have a critical job I will sometimes use an electric leaf blower to dislodge the dust while my fan is running, I'll also wet the floor then blow and tack off the car right before I pull the trigger.

Yeah I think a fan up that high will cause you problems. How many cfm is it? I know in my garage I have 2 attic fans from lowes that I use. I think they are 1200 or 1700 cfm each. It takes a few minutes for the garage to clear from overspray fog but it doesn't seem to pull so much that it stirs up a lot of dirt. I also use a shop vac to go over the floor and wet the floor down before spraying clear as Len stated. It helps a lot but I still get nibs. I don't have my intake filtered either (and when I say intake I mean garage door up about 2-3 ft.