TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primer and paint products question

Default Primer and paint products question

I'm going to spray my old truck to give it a new shine on life and have been googling for info on paints and seem to be giving myself a runaround. Looking for some inexpensive auto paint and looking for some suggestions. I have sprayed few times but am a basic ham, my jobs haven't turned out too bad good enough for the job at hand. Any suggestions please

Quote Originally Posted by Estam View Post
    I'm going to spray my old truck to give it a new shine on life and have been googling for info on paints and seem to be giving myself a runaround. Looking for some inexpensive auto paint and looking for some suggestions. I have sprayed few times but am a basic ham, my jobs haven't turned out too bad good enough for the job at hand. Any suggestions please
    Go to the bottom of the index page of this forum and check out The Coatings Store Link, their prices are low and the paint is decent for the price.

Thanks for the info.
    I clicked on "Forum" to go to the Index page and am unable to find a link to The Coatings Store.
    I'm sure it's me maybe you could help further.
    Many thanks

Thanks for the info.
    I clicked on "Forum" to go to the Index page and am unable to find a link to The Coatings Store.
    I'm sure it's me maybe you could help further.
    Many thanks
    Scroll down to the bottom of the Forum and you should see this image. Click on it there or here and it should take you to their site.

I'm so sorry Len, there was not image on your post

I am checking this Forum page and don't see the link, maybe it's not there now....

http://autobodystore.com/forum/forum.php

I'm so sorry Len, there was not image on your post

I am checking this Forum page and don't see the link, maybe it's not there now....

http://autobodystore.com/forum/forum.php
    I think that the problem may be at your end because I've logged out of the Forum and still see the graphic and the link. Try this LINK

I think I may have found the problem... I checked the Forum using several browsers on PC and Apple computers and found that some browsers don't show The Coatings Store link on the Apple. I don't know how to fix that so I guess I'd just recommend that you switch browsers. Firefox on the Apple doesn't show the banner or link.
    Last edited by Len; 06-16-2017 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Browser Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I think that the problem may be at your end because I've logged out of the Forum and still see the graphic and the link. Try this LINK

I think I may have found the problem... I checked the Forum using several browsers on PC and Apple computers and found that some browsers don't show The Coatings Store link on the Apple. I don't know how to fix that so I guess I'd just recommend that you switch browsers. Firefox on the Apple doesn't show the banner or link.
    The link didn't work but a different browser did.

Browser = www.yandex.com

Found link = http://shop.thecoatingstore.com/

Default But first...

Before you go off spending a lot of money on paint, please share with us more information. Really can't see (or recommend) you buy base coat/clear coat paint system if you don't have a decent gun and air compressor to shoot the paint. Another thing is what color do you plan to paint? A solid color without metallic in it would allow you to panel paint sections of the truck if you have limited air and a mediocre gun. I might even suggest Acrylic Enamel (AE) with hardener for a decent job. NOTE: If you were to go with panel painting you would not be able to add hardener to the entire container of paint since it would harden the contents you don't use.

Your prep will help determine your outcome. Do you have dents, chips, scratches and that (oh no) rust & rot thing to deal with? Because you are here, you google search for help has really ended as members here can hold your hand throughout the entire process as done for so many others.

Henry

WELCOME ABOARD!!

henry,
    i don't know if i'd suggest acrylic enamel if he's a newbie. sure it's cheap, but the flow time on that stuff...
    i remember leaving the booth with everything looking great, coming back in after an hour to find awful runs. urethane seems so much more user friendly.
    b marler

Check your private messages

Default But...

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    henry,
    i don't know if i'd suggest acrylic enamel if he's a newbie. sure it's cheap, but the flow time on that stuff...
    i remember leaving the booth with everything looking great, coming back in after an hour to find awful runs. urethane seems so much more user friendly.
    What you describe is more a technique than a problem with AE itself. For me, AE was always easy to shoot and I did it with a Finish Line II yet that I borrowed from the other guy in the shop who only used AE on his stuff.

My point is if our guy has a limited gun and compressor, he'd have the hardest time shooting clear. If he went base coat in a metallic, he'd have a hard time shooting that. I think, the AE would be good for what he has for equipment to get the paint job done. I always sprayed it like clear in that I sprayed to get the gloss I wanted to see in the final result but don't apply ignorant additional coats while still wet.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    What you describe is more a technique than a problem with AE itself. For me, AE was always easy to shoot and I did it with a Finish Line II yet that I borrowed from the other guy in the shop who only used AE on his stuff.

My point is if our guy has a limited gun and compressor, he'd have the hardest time shooting clear. If he went base coat in a metallic, he'd have a hard time shooting that. I think, the AE would be good for what he has for equipment to get the paint job done. I always sprayed it like clear in that I sprayed to get the gloss I wanted to see in the final result but don't apply ignorant additional coats while still wet.

Henry
    funny, when i made the switch to urethane i found it was extremely easy to shoot compared to ae. very forgiving. with the ae, i only shot to hiding, no "ignorant" additional coats. a good painter won't have an issue, but for a novice there's a bit of a learning curve.
    b marler

Default Clarification...

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    funny, when i made the switch to urethane i found it was extremely easy to shoot compared to ae. very forgiving. with the ae, i only shot to hiding, no "ignorant" additional coats. a good painter won't have an issue, but for a novice there's a bit of a learning curve.
    Don't misunderstand me saying "ignorant additional coats". I didn't mean you or anyone else. I was rather referring to after spraying a pass and ending as we should, I have been known (years ago) to hit that corner again or hit that dry area again. That was total ignorance on my part regardless of AE, BC/CC or anything else. That's why I try to emphasize to guys on here that if you find something like a dry area, leave it until next pass.

My point to 'estam' is based solely on the equipment he has to use and what he is painting. Otherwise, I agree with what you said. BC/CC is the way to go, for me but I have plenty of air and good guns.

Wish he would chime back in.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Don't misunderstand me saying "ignorant additional coats". I didn't mean you or anyone else. I was rather referring to after spraying a pass and ending as we should, I have been known (years ago) to hit that corner again or hit that dry area again. That was total ignorance on my part regardless of AE, BC/CC or anything else. That's why I try to emphasize to guys on here that if you find something like a dry area, leave it until next pass.

My point to 'estam' is based solely on the equipment he has to use and what he is painting. Otherwise, I agree with what you said. BC/CC is the way to go, for me but I have plenty of air and good guns.

Wish he would chime back in.

Henry
    didn't mean to get snippy. agree with what you're saying. i wish the op would check in too.
    b marler

My problem with AE is that it remains softer than urethane and usually doesn't holdup as well.