TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Estimate to fix Yukon rear quarter panel?

Default Estimate to fix Yukon rear quarter panel?

Hey guys, I took my truck in to get the AC fixed and one of the mechanics backed into a pole. The shop said they would pay for it but had a hard time getting a positive quote that was accurate as they were just describing the dent over the phone. One guy called a family friend that said he could fix it for $500 but I thought I would get a opinion from you guys. I understand that pictures don't tell the whole story I would just getting a rough estimation, what I should look for, and anything else before getting a quote. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No offence meant to anyone but a quote you get from any one of us is basically for entertainment value. You should take the truck to a local shop that is in business near the shop where the damage happened. They can give you a quote that they will stand behind and do the work for the stated price. Take that quote back to the shop where the damage happened and work something out. You may want it fixed at the shop that gave you the quote and the repair shops liability insurance company could pay the bill. They may not want to submit it to insurance because it may cause higher premiums so they could contract with the body shop to do the work or pay you off to that amount and let you fix it yourself or accept the money as an offset for the reduced value of your truck and just drive around with the dent.

The thing I wouldn't do is let some buddy of a guy in the shop do the work unless you are sure he does good work and stands behind it.

Bob K

I agree, my father in law owns a bodyshop and he will be the one fixing it. Unfortunately he is out of town right now but we will be seeing him in a couple of days. The dent is worse than it looked at first glance, I got a better look at it tonight and the bottom gap at the door hatch is non existent. The panel is warped pretty decent as well. I'm assuming the repair will cost quite a bit more then what we previously thought. I will be taking it in to a bodyshop​ tomorrow to get a estimate.

Just got a bid. $1500 to fix the rear panel. Not too bad overall. Time to see if the shop agrees

Quote Originally Posted by Treveiger View Post
    Just got a bid. $1500 to fix the rear panel. Not too bad overall. Time to see if the shop agrees
    That sounds about right for shops in my location. It depends where the shop is located and the hourly rate there. A big shop in a metropolitan area will most likely charge a lot more than a small shop in a rural area.

Default Wait...

I agree, my father in law owns a bodyshop and he will be the one fixing it. Unfortunately he is out of town right now but we will be seeing him in a couple of days. The dent is worse than it looked at first glance, I got a better look at it tonight and the bottom gap at the door hatch is non existent. The panel is warped pretty decent as well. I'm assuming the repair will cost quite a bit more then what we previously thought. I will be taking it in to a bodyshop​ tomorrow to get a estimate.
    Wait for an estimate from your father-in-law's shop. There is often hidden damage. Also, looks like the tailgate (right hand bottom) is pretty close to the quarter. Check there for rubbing and the space on the opposite side. Don't forget a new tail light. Keep us posted.

Henry

Normally, your estimate would be subject to charges for "hidden damage". I doubt you have any there but....

I was thinking $1500 - $1700 would be a fair price. Get at least one other estimate from a shot NOT owned by your father in law. I would let your father in law do the repair work if you trust his shop but the people paying for the repair would rightfully be skeptical of an estimate from your father in laws shop.

agree with phil. any time you bring family into the picture, things get complicated.
    b marler

I talked to my father in law and $1200 would cover it. He also said it'll be a good amount of work to get it out but he's done them several times just like this(he's been doing body work his whole life and used to manage a few different decent size shops around here before starting his own business). Called the shop that damaged​ it and they said it was too much. They still want us to go to their guy which said it would be $500-$600 by looking at the pictures he sent them. So Monday I'm planning on running to a few different shops to bring them the estimates so they can compare. Glad I got everything in writing before taking off or else I'd be sweating a little bit. I also agree with getting other quotes rather then just from family because I can understand why they might think someone is trying to take them for a ride. The shop that did the damage also called other places as well i guess but doesn't really want to say the price he got over the phone.

I talked to my father in law and $1200 would cover it. He also said it'll be a good amount of work to get it out but he's done them several times just like this(he's been doing body work his whole life and used to manage a few different decent size shops around here before starting his own business). Called the shop that damaged​ it and they said it was too much. They still want us to go to their guy which said it would be $500-$600 by looking at the pictures he sent them. So Monday I'm planning on running to a few different shops to bring them the estimates so they can compare. Glad I got everything in writing before taking off or else I'd be sweating a little bit. I also agree with getting other quotes rather then just from family because I can understand why they might think someone is trying to take them for a ride. The shop that did the damage also called other places as well i guess but doesn't really want to say the price he got over the phone.
    If I were getting estimates I wouldn't show the other prices to shops I was getting estimates from.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If I were getting estimates I wouldn't show the other prices to shops I was getting estimates from.
    That's a good point. I'll keep my mouth shut when we go Monday. I'm hoping this is over with Monday​.

Did you ever talk to your own insurance company. There is a thing called subrogation where they pay the shop that does the repair and they make a claim against the other repair shops insurance and don't charge the accident against you. You don't have to get into a battle over payment that way.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Did you ever talk to your own insurance company. There is a thing called subrogation where they pay the shop that does the repair and they make a claim against the other repair shops insurance and don't charge the accident against you. You don't have to get into a battle over payment that way.

Bob K
    Will that increase my rates for insurance? As well as me having to pay my deductible​? I have thought about just getting their insurance information and going through that but I doubt they'll give it to me.

Default Yes but NO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post

Bob K
    I always agree with what you've said for so many years but you need to be cautious in getting your own car insurance company involved UNLESS you need them. No doubt, what you say is very true but this is a small $$ situation so I wouldn't want it to be 'counted' in my insurance file.

Actuarial policy by property casualty insurance providers would 'count' his little mishap as a claim and being involved in an accident. They keep score and use how many times something you have been involved in a category be it your fault or not upon renewals and rates.

Henry

I've had an issue where the intake manifold on my 2000 LeSabre exploded while cranking and caused a fire under the hood. I had a fire extinguisher in the garage and put out the fire quickly. I made claim under my comprehensive coverage. State Farm paid me and did a subrogation claim to General Motors since it was caused by a faulty fuel pressure regulator which was a known issue at the time (unknown to me). GM paid State Farm back and I maintained my accident free policy. Remember, I didn't say make a claim, I said talk to your insurance company and I admit I should have said talk to your insurance agent. Your agent, not a clerk in the office, but your actual agent. He will know the ins and outs of making claims and steer you right. Your agent surly has loyalty to the company but he also has loyalty to you. It's not in his best interest to piss off his customer and in this case it will cost your insurance company nothing. The one that did the damage will pay and your insurance company has the leverage and know how to make it happen. You working alone on the other hand can be manipulated or intimidated into doing whatever they want. If you still feel you don't want to talk to your insurance company then do a consultation with a lawyer. The initial consultation where they tell you about fees and the probability of winning a judgment is free in my part of the world.

Bob K