TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Tight radius color sanding

Default Tight radius color sanding

I painted a 2000 Dodge Ram tailgate with single stage urethane (Omni MTK). I have a 6" Hutchins 500-H (3/32 throw) DA. I used the DA with 1500 3M sandpaper to the flatter spots to remove trash (have to paint outside). There is a depressed somewhat tight radius along the bottom of the tailgate. Should I just grab a piece of 1500 and run through it on my hand? I just want the trash out of it, so its smooth.

Here is a side view of that tailgate after I sprayed it, so you can see the radius I'm talking about.

http://autobodystore.com/forum/attac...1&d=1496199999

Yeah I'd use my finger or the side of a paint stick, sanding block etc. Basically anything of a similar radius that will give the paper some support with out putting too much pressure on the corners.
    Avid collector of rust!

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    I painted a 2000 Dodge Ram tailgate with single stage urethane (Omni MTK). I have a 6" Hutchins 500-H (3/32 throw) DA. I used the DA with 1500 3M sandpaper to the flatter spots to remove trash (have to paint outside). There is a depressed somewhat tight radius along the bottom of the tailgate. Should I just grab a piece of 1500 and run through it on my hand? I just want the trash out of it, so its smooth.

Here is a side view of that tailgate after I sprayed it, so you can see the radius I'm talking about.

http://autobodystore.com/forum/attac...1&d=1496199999
    Lay the tailgate on it's backside (saw horses) and use a small block to level the high spots using 1500 wet sandpaper (5 sheet pack is about $10) then put some wet 3000 grit on your DA and go over the entire panel. You can use a rubber squeegee to wipe off the water so that you can get a good look at your progress. When you're happy with the sanding you can polish it to bring back the gloss.

I'd recommend using an "Interface Pad" on your DA so that the pad conforms to the curved surface while you're sanding.

Ended up using 1500 on my Hutchins 6" 3/32 DA. Followed with Compound and then glaze... looks pretty good for single stage (Omni MTK). I put about 3 coats on it.