TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: peeling paint and refinishing urethane bumper, + urethane filling

Default peeling paint and refinishing urethane bumper, + urethane filling

1)I got a urethane front bumper i am refinishing off a lexus ls400.
    In multiple areas the paint has completely chipped off down to the yellow urethane.
    Do i need to take the entire bumper down to plastic, or can i get away with sanding out a few inches from the peeled areas?

2) I am shaving the corner markers, purchased some maxim 886 to do the job. Seems fairly straightforward, roughen up a few inches around the area front and back, apply some mesh tape from behind, coat that, then coat the front, sand smooth and finish with glazing putty?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Greg5OH; 05-30-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg5OH View Post
    1)I got a urethane front bumper i am refinishing off a lexus ls400.
    In multiple areas the paint has completely chipped off down to the yellow urethane.
    Do i need to take the entire bumper down to plastic, or can i get away with sanding out a few inches from the peeled areas?

2) I am shaving the corner markers, purchased some maxim 886 to do the job. Seems fairly straightforward, roughen up a few inches around the area front and back, apply some mesh tape from behind, coat that, then coat the front, sand smooth and finish with glazing putty?

Thanks.
    If you want the repairs to hold up then you should remove all the paint and apply adhesion promoter before applying any further coatings. Also an adhesion promoter should be used before the application of any repair adhesives and all the fillers should be flexible fillers.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If you want the repairs to hold up then you should remove all the paint and apply adhesion promoter before applying any further coatings. Also an adhesion promoter should be used before the application of any repair adhesives and all the fillers should be flexible fillers.
    In most cases the paint is best removed using a chemical stripper that is designed for use on plastic surfaces.