Thread: Mini Gun Spray tip Questions

Default Mini Gun Spray tip Questions

Hello Everyone!! I Don't post here often because i am a Guitar Builder and don't do any autobody but you guys are the masters of the spraygun and have a lot of knowledge in that area!! I have an Iwata LPH80 mini gun with 1.0 & 1.2 Tip. I use Nitrocellulose clear lacquers and Stains mixed with Nitro also. Which Tips do you use for Clear, Color and primers? Ie; Bigger tips for the color or bigger for the clear?? How about primers? Just not sure which tips make which material flow/atomize better. Hope this makes sense!!

thank you,
    Keith R

Quote Originally Posted by Flynman View Post
    Hello Everyone!! I Don't post here often because i am a Guitar Builder and don't do any autobody but you guys are the masters of the spraygun and have a lot of knowledge in that area!! I have an Iwata LPH80 mini gun with 1.0 & 1.2 Tip. I use Nitrocellulose clear lacquers and Stains mixed with Nitro also. Which Tips do you use for Clear, Color and primers? Ie; Bigger tips for the color or bigger for the clear?? How about primers? Just not sure which tips make which material flow/atomize better. Hope this makes sense!!

thank you,
    Keith R
    The tip size can vary with the viscosity of the material you're spraying, the thinner the material the smaller the tip can be. Most automotive products that are being sprayed with a large gravity feed gun use a 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4 tip but smaller guns can usually use smaller tip size like 0.8, 1.0 or 1.2. Your atomizing is normally determined by the air cap and in many cases the finer atomizing caps are used to spray your clear coats.

Primers normally use a larger fluid tip and and air cap that doesn't atomize as well because the primers are normally recoated or sanded.

Thank you for the Reply Len. Many of the older Fender guitars where automotive finishes and colors. A lot of guys have switched over to the Automotive products and i will be doing the same. HOK has some pretty cool stuff!

thanks,
    Keith R