TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Slick Sand verses PPG Vibrance

Default Slick Sand verses PPG Vibrance

I want to purchase one of these products but I do not know which one is the better quality. Can anyone that has experience using these two shed some experience about each product. I am doing high end restorations and want the best product made and one that will last for many years.

Thanks Ken

Quote Originally Posted by convertcuda View Post
    I want to purchase one of these products but I do not know which one is the better quality. Can anyone that has experience using these two shed some experience about each product. I am doing high end restorations and want the best product made and one that will last for many years.

Thanks Ken
    I haven't used any of the PPG filler primers but I've been using Slick Sand for a few years. I like the SS because it's like spray-on body filler, it cures quickly and has good film build. I've never had a problem with it and I mostly use if on large areas of body work that I want perfect. I spray the SS with a 2.8 fluid tip so that I don't need to add reducer because thinning it can make it more porous after it hardens.

Anyone else have experience with these two primmers?

if you want the best use SIKKENS if you want very good and a whole lot cheaper use slick sand

i use slick sand

Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    if you want the best use SIKKENS if you want very good and a whole lot cheaper use slick sand

i use slick sand
    What Sikkens product are you taking about?

Sikkens polysurfacer

When compare price it's not really worth it. But it is pretty good stuff. As I said before I still recommend slick sand or feather fill.

I have never heard of a fill primer by PPG called Vibrance. My experience with PPG Vibrance is it is a PPG line of custom paints in many different colors. Mainly candy apple and candy bases. Nothing to do with fill primer.

There is no such thing as the "best primer". Just like there is no such thing as the "best paint" or the "best polyester filler. It's like Ford, Mopar and Chevy, some people like Fords and some people like Morpars or Chevys (never understand why someone would choose a Chevy ! LOL)

Slick sand is technically a polyester spray "bondo". Used for extreme filling of imperfections. NOT a traditional 2K urethane high fill primer. Most professional bodymen/painters have used it and most liked it for what it does. I personally never have a need to "primer" that thick. If the imperfections are so bad that they need filling with a spray bondo then finish the panels correctly before primer and you won't need spray bondo.

Just about ALL the name brand paint products will last a LONG time if the vehicle is properly taken care of, so there is no need to search for the "best" product, they are all good.

here you go phil Vibrance does make polyester primer. however im sure it is just repackaged

and Vibrance can be made off any DBC GLOBAL or Envirobase bank nothing special about Vibrance or any other custom paint line

http://ca.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refini...lyester-Primer

Hey, I have no experience with the PPG but i do with Slick Sand; it is a great product and i have used it for a very long time. There is only one thing i don't like about it; you cant wet sand it! I like to finish sand my primer wet so i will top coat the SS with a good 2K and wet sand that, then paint. I have never had any trouble with SS and the price is nice.