TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 4500 extreme digital

Default 4500 extreme digital

Thanks to len, I got a great deal on this really nice gun a month ago. Going to use it next week. Directions say stuff about "bar". I seem to remember hearing this gun should be at 29 psi. Sound correct?
    Also, the air reg it came with seems unnecessary. Why do I need to use this? It just makes the gun bigger. Why can't I just pull the trigger and set it on the wall regulator? If I'm missing something, please let me know. I don't have a lot of experience...only painted 2 1/2 cars with a budget gun (and that was 3 years ago).
    Last...it says to spray 10 -20 cm from the surface. This is a big range, and I think I have usually been closer to 10cm (with the budget gun). That is about 4".

Details if needed: Spraying single stage Urethane Acrylic (basic white) on a old work van. Nothing to exciting but a good vehicle to test this out on. I will use the CC cap on the gun.

Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike111 View Post
    Thanks to len, I got a great deal on this really nice gun a month ago. Going to use it next week. Directions say stuff about "bar". I seem to remember hearing this gun should be at 29 psi. Sound correct?
    Also, the air reg it came with seems unnecessary. Why do I need to use this? It just makes the gun bigger. Why can't I just pull the trigger and set it on the wall regulator? If I'm missing something, please let me know. I don't have a lot of experience...only painted 2 1/2 cars with a budget gun (and that was 3 years ago).
    Last...it says to spray 10 -20 cm from the surface. This is a big range, and I think I have usually been closer to 10cm (with the budget gun). That is about 4".

Details if needed: Spraying single stage Urethane Acrylic (basic white) on a old work van. Nothing to exciting but a good vehicle to test this out on. I will use the CC cap on the gun.

Thanks
    Mike
    Hi Mike
    As far as that regulator on the handle goes it's not needed as long as your wall regulator is doing the job of controlling your air pressure. 29 PSI is the correct inlet pressure but you can crank it down if you want to generate less overspray.

As far as distance from the surface goes I've found that the tip size and paint viscosity can create variables so it's best to judge your distance and speed by watching the surface as you spray. Be sure to have good lighting so you can see the coating as you apply it.

Make sure you allow the first coat to flash before applying anymore paint.

Let us know how it turns out.

I love that gun.

Great. Thanks for the tips!

Len,
    It turned out pretty good. It's a really nice gun. Took me some time to get the hang of it. Have not painted in years, and it was a new gun for me. I feel the fan was much more narrow than my budget gun. Anyway, towards the end I was getting better. I have never painted a light color (white) before. I think it's easier for me painting black.
    Some runs and orange peel, and dust to take care. Thanks for turning me on to this gun. I really like the digital readout.

Len,
    It turned out pretty good. It's a really nice gun. Took me some time to get the hang of it. Have not painted in years, and it was a new gun for me. I feel the fan was much more narrow than my budget gun. Anyway, towards the end I was getting better. I have never painted a light color (white) before. I think it's easier for me painting black.
    Some runs and orange peel, and dust to take care. Thanks for turning me on to this gun. I really like the digital readout.
    Be sure that you have the fan fully opened and the pressure set at 29 PSI or less. White is a little more difficult to see while you're spraying but dark colors show the mistakes more than light colors. With a little more practice you'll be able to turn out beautiful paint jobs with that gun.

Default better

Len
    OK, tonight I redid one of the panels because I had extra paint and wanted to try for less orange peel. Got really good results this time. I left the fan open and fluid (same). I left it at 28-29 psi. But I slowed the gun way down and increased the distance (maybe 5" or so). I don't know if there is more than one way to combine the distance/speed or if it matters but does this make sense with the 4500 extreme? I am not using expensive paint. It's actually really cheap paint from TCP global. (S/S). It looks real good now and that's what matters because I'm selling it anyway.

Len
    OK, tonight I redid one of the panels because I had extra paint and wanted to try for less orange peel. Got really good results this time. I left the fan open and fluid (same). I left it at 28-29 psi. But I slowed the gun way down and increased the distance (maybe 5" or so). I don't know if there is more than one way to combine the distance/speed or if it matters but does this make sense with the 4500 extreme? I am not using expensive paint. It's actually really cheap paint from TCP global. (S/S). It looks real good now and that's what matters because I'm selling it anyway.
    Mike, sorry I didn't answer you sooner.

There are a lot of variables including temperature, reducer speed, paint viscosity, fluid tip and air cap being used. The best advice I can give is to keep your eye on the surface being sprayed and adjust your speed and distance according to what you see as you spray. You're using one of the best guns available and a little practice using it with consistent materials you'll soon get great results.

Thanks! I getting better already.

Default wow

wow, this gun is really great. So I used it again today but changed one of the variable....the quality of the paint. The last paint cost be about $100. Today's paint was twice that and it came out perfect. I used Nason today (probably not that high of quality) but certainly better than the last brand. Not the first time using nason but the first time with this gun. I don't think I could have made orange peel if I tried...this gun makes so easy. If it wasn't for the dirt and bugs, I would not need to sand/buff. I thought there was something wrong with me, but now I know it was the paint. Thanks for turning me on to his product Len