TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: '55 floor/rocker repair--which first?

Default '55 floor/rocker repair--which first?

Hi All

Beginner here in need of some advice. I have some serious rust issues on the passenger side of my '55 Olds where the floor boards and inner and outer rockers all meet. I will try to attach a picture.

I have all the panels to make the repairs. My question is: in what order should I start replacing the pieces? Is there a preferred sequence? Do I risk ending up with alignment problems if I just cut it all out at once?
    20170416_141017.jpg

Thanks,
    Dan

Welcome aboard Dan
    I would section the floor first then work on the rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Welcome aboard Dan
    I would section the floor first then work on the rocker.

Thanks Len. Much appreciated.

Default Support...

Quote Originally Posted by Fenian16 View Post
    Hi All

Beginner here in need of some advice. I have some serious rust issues on the passenger side of my '55 Olds where the floor boards and inner and outer rockers all meet. I will try to attach a picture.

I have all the panels to make the repairs. My question is: in what order should I start replacing the pieces? Is there a preferred sequence? Do I risk ending up with alignment problems if I just cut it all out at once?
    20170416_141017.jpg

Thanks,
    Dan
    Welcome aboard indeed........

Support and Sag:
    If the doors are still on, look at the gap with the door(s) closed. You want to end up with a nice even gap. I'm pointing this out at this time for you so you don't get a surprise after welding in your rocker(s) and new floor areas.

Solid floors and rockers hold the rigidity and shape and keep square the openings for doors to fit properly as well as other panels. You may have to weld in a brace or two to keep things square before you cut OR you may already have sag due to the weakness from the rot. You can often get by with something as simple as a 4 x 4 under the floor in a solid area and jack it enough to square things up. This is not a total description of what I want to tell you but as long as you understand what is being said.

Keep us posted.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Welcome aboard indeed........

Support and Sag:
    If the doors are still on, look at the gap with the door(s) closed. You want to end up with a nice even gap. I'm pointing this out at this time for you so you don't get a surprise after welding in your rocker(s) and new floor areas.

Solid floors and rockers hold the rigidity and shape and keep square the openings for doors to fit properly as well as other panels. You may have to weld in a brace or two to keep things square before you cut OR you may already have sag due to the weakness from the rot. You can often get by with something as simple as a 4 x 4 under the floor in a solid area and jack it enough to square things up. This is not a total description of what I want to tell you but as long as you understand what is being said.

Keep us posted.

Henry
    Thanks for the assistance guys. You guys are great and this website really is a fantastic resource. Henry, I get what you're saying about keeping things square. I'll let you know how it goes. If it doesnt go according go plan, I suppose I will end up giving myself a lesson on how to straighten the door space and realign the doors. Either way, many thanks for the advice.

Dan