TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: frame rail corner dent repair

Default frame rail corner dent repair

Hello,

I'm restoring a 67 mustang and I'm working on the frame rails currently. The passenger front frame rail where the sway bar bracket is attached has a distorted corner. The sway bar bracket was pushed into the frame rail causing the corner to distort & pucker in an upward direction. I've managed to straighten the sway bar bracket and the frame rail with the exception of this corner. I've attached a photo of the area showing the area. If I tap the pucker down, I'm concerned that it will flatten the slightly rounded corner radius. If someone can show me how to straighten the corner while keeping the radius, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance for any help. mross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mross; 04-14-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mross View Post
    Hello,

I'm restoring a 67 mustang and I'm working on the frame rails currently. The passenger front frame rail where the sway bar bracket is attached has a distorted corner. The sway bar bracket was pushed into the frame rail causing the corner to distort & pucker in an upward direction. I've managed to straighten the sway bar bracket and the frame rail with the exception of this corner. I've attached a photo of the area showing the area. If I tap the pucker down, I'm concerned that it will flatten the slightly rounded corner radius. If someone can show me how to straighten the corner while keeping the radius, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance for any help. mross
    We would need to see that picture but it's not showing up.

I see the picture. It appears to me that the metal distortion in that area was caused by a hydraulic porta-power push or anchor point. I'm guessing there was a sway in the front frame rails. Got the sway out but damaged the anchor point. I honestly don't know how to repair that because the metal in that whole area is distorted, not just that "pucker" point.

only way i can think of to make that metal move back to shape would be to heat it. get it red and tap it back into position using a drift shaped to fit. for the frame rail, i'd build a bridge over the damaged area and securely weld a bolt on the area where the rod deformed it. heat the area, use the bridge to pull the bolt and try to level the area.
    b marler

Greetings , I agree with observation that the damage was most likely caused by a portapower ram . with that being said if your access to the damage is limited due the motor being in the way , i would access the damage from the outside of the rail with a large holesaw and punch the damage straight again , it may take someone to used a dolly block on the one side to help shape it out and not punch excessive stretches in the area. some heat may be necessary . once the rail is reshaped on the inside as best possible , use the holesaw cut out circle and mig weld it back in place and grind and finish the repairs of to your standards, good luck and best regards Mike