TheCoatingStore.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 1971 Firebird

looks terrific, nice job.
    share a bit of technique with me. i'm getting ready to sand and buff one of my cars. there are quite a few body lines and sharp edges. when you do the sanding, how do you handle that? like the fender lips, or the hood scoops, do you just be careful? or tape hard edges off?
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    looks terrific, nice job.
    share a bit of technique with me. i'm getting ready to sand and buff one of my cars. there are quite a few body lines and sharp edges. when you do the sanding, how do you handle that? like the fender lips, or the hood scoops, do you just be careful? or tape hard edges off?
    #1 make sure you have enough material to cut. I had 4 full wet coats to work with so I was able to start with 1200. I stayed about an inch or so away from the body line with it. With the 1500 I went down to about 1/2", 2000 to 1/4" and 3000 all over. It doesn't take much to cut 3000 out so you are only over the edge for a few seconds. Some say to never buff over those areas but if you get a handle on what you are doing then you shouldn't have a problem. I don't always sand/buff every part. Most sharp curved surfaces (from what I've seen) tend to be pretty smooth. I'm not a professional by any means so maybe some of the other guys will chime in too.

thanks for the tips. i have 4 full coats on this project, so no problem with film thickness. i'm just a bit nervous about the sanding part, i don't want to burn through. buffing is no problem, plenty of experience there.
    b marler

Default Been waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    Can't tell which is better, your hard work or your camera! You always take great shots of your projects. Glad the vinyl top is gone also. Car came out really nice. You done good buddy, again. What quarter panel? Can't tell anything was changed. You do achieve 'professional' results every time.

Henry

IMO: Jury is still out on who you can call a professional in this trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Can't tell which is better, your hard work or your camera! You always take great shots of your projects. Glad the vinyl top is gone also. Car came out really nice. You done good buddy, again. What quarter panel? Can't tell anything was changed. You do achieve 'professional' results every time.

Henry

IMO: Jury is still out on who you can call a professional in this trade.
    Well it isn't perfect but it looks pretty good. Either way he got a lot of "free" hours on this one. I logged 224 and getting paid for 115. Those were are $40/hr too so I basically did it for $20/hr. $20/hr doesn't get perfection even if he did pay $10,000 total for the job. He probably saved $5000 coming to me.....

This was my last big project that I will do other than that truck I already promised the guy and something for me/family. It takes up a lot of my time and I don't like that. I can make a whole lot more working overtime at work than doing something like this anyway.

Default Well...

Well it isn't perfect but it looks pretty good. Either way he got a lot of "free" hours on this one. I logged 224 and getting paid for 115. Those were are $40/hr too so I basically did it for $20/hr. $20/hr doesn't get perfection even if he did pay $10,000 total for the job. He probably saved $5000 coming to me.....

This was my last big project that I will do other than that truck I already promised the guy and something for me/family. It takes up a lot of my time and I don't like that. I can make a whole lot more working overtime at work than doing something like this anyway.
    Hopefully he appreciates the job you did and realizes he paid a mere pittance over what a shop would have charged him. Best he can do now is get the thing appraised and insured for 'stated value'.

Don't beat yourself up too much at $20/hr. Beats making snowballs, know what I mean?

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Hopefully he appreciates the job you did and realizes he paid a mere pittance over what a shop would have charged him. Best he can do now is get the thing appraised and insured for 'stated value'.

Don't beat yourself up too much at $20/hr. Beats making snowballs, know what I mean?

Henry
    He is selling the car. He has too much invested in it and is building a house at the same time. He is over budget on it too.

This project paid off my wifes car and school loans so now the only debt we have is the house.

Nice job! You probably said but what brand of clear and how many coats did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Nice job! You probably said but what brand of clear and how many coats did you use?
    Southern Polyurethanes Universal 4 coats. I think I used 6-7 qts of clear on it.

Fantastic work as always. Looks great.
    Avid collector of rust!