TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Sandblasting Rust

Default Sandblasting Rust

Hello this is my first post. This also my first time attempting and auto body repair; and I was hoping someone could help me out. I just purchased a speed blaster in order to sandblast some rust pits on my vw vanagon.

I've been playing with trying different media and psi settings on some scrap metal; however, I've noticed the rust will return within 24 hours of sandblasting pitted metal but the areas with surface rust still appear rust free. I realize unprotected metal will rust.

My question is more along the lines is my technique adequate. After i've sandblasted an area the metal appears clean and there are no black spots just pits. If so leads me believe that I should sandblast and prime within a short period of time. Are my assumptions correct?

Sandblast, then prime or treat the metal with a product like Picklex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Hello this is my first post. This also my first time attempting and auto body repair; and I was hoping someone could help me out. I just purchased a speed blaster in order to sandblast some rust pits on my vw vanagon.

I've been playing with trying different media and psi settings on some scrap metal; however, I've noticed the rust will return within 24 hours of sandblasting pitted metal but the areas with surface rust still appear rust free. I realize unprotected metal will rust.

My question is more along the lines is my technique adequate. After i've sandblasted an area the metal appears clean and there are no black spots just pits. If so leads me believe that I should sandblast and prime within a short period of time. Are my assumptions correct?
    Hi Jac, welcome aboard.

Yes, you want to get the metal protected as soon as possible. Blasting is the best method of removing rust but the metal should be coated as soon as the blasting is finished. Coating can be done using several different products....
    A "rust converter" like Picklex 20 works well if you still have rust in the pits or flash rusting on the surface. Picklex 20 will either stabilize the rust or make it disappear. We normally apply the Picklex work it in with a scuff pad, allow it to dry, scuff if then coat it with a primer or paint that contains NO ACID.

If the rust is removed and the exposed metal is in an area that isn't normally exposed to direct sunlight, like under the vehicle or inside then Zero Rust is a good product to use. We normally apply two or three coat of Zero Rust.

If you are going to fill the rust pits and/or apply primer and paint I'd recommend using a decent epoxy primer over the metal then apply your filler or paint.

20170313_124204.jpg

This is what im getting after i spotblasted. Those this look good enough to epoxy? Sorry if this a stupid question

20170313_124204.jpg

This is what im getting after i spotblasted. Those this look good enough to epoxy? Sorry if this a stupid question
    It's a little hard to tell but, if what I'm looking at is clean metal in the pits, epoxy primer will do the job. After priming you should be able to apply a light coat of filler, block sand, prime and paint.

Default WELCOME...

20170313_124204.jpg

Welcome Aboard!

You said, " Sorry if this a stupid question ".

On this site, the only 'stupid' question is the one not asked. Someone is here 24/7 (normally) to help you in anything on your project.

Henry