Thread: satin finish

Default satin finish

Hello, I am trying to figure out how to get the finish I want on my hot rod. I want a satin finish but want to use b/c c/c. I like the look of the hot rod flatz so I just tested a spot on a old fender by spraying base then spraying some satin clear but it just seemed to dull it down. my question is how how do you get the sheen with the b/c c/c like the hot rod flatz has, Thanks MIke

Quote Originally Posted by cookieman View Post
    Hello, I am trying to figure out how to get the finish I want on my hot rod. I want a satin finish but want to use b/c c/c. I like the look of the hot rod flatz so I just tested a spot on a old fender by spraying base then spraying some satin clear but it just seemed to dull it down. my question is how how do you get the sheen with the b/c c/c like the hot rod flatz has, Thanks MIke
    If you want more gloss you can add more clear to the mix and if you want less gloss you can add a gloss reducing additive. I'd recommend measuring anything you mix so that you can duplicate the finish if need be.

[QUOTE=Len;321133]If you want more gloss you can add more clear to the mix and if you want less gloss you can add a gloss reducing additive. I'd recommend measuring anything you mix so that you can duplicate the finish if need be.[/QUO I still can't understand how the HRF has such a sheen and reflex light.It really pops in the sun and has a sparkle to the finish. I am going with metallic blue so if I flatten clear less it would be like a semi -gloss and I would get the effect I am looking for ?? Thanks, Mike

PPG Global D8117 semi gloss and D8115 matte can be use separately or mixed together for you own gloss level

they have a gloss chart to show you the gloss level and formulas.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If you want more gloss you can add more clear to the mix and if you want less gloss you can add a gloss reducing additive. I'd recommend measuring anything you mix so that you can duplicate the finish if need be.[/QUO I still can't understand how the HRF has such a sheen and reflex light.It really pops in the sun and has a sparkle to the finish. I am going with metallic blue so if I flatten clear less it would be like a semi -gloss and I would get the effect I am looking for ?? Thanks, Mike
    You'll need to spray some test panels with different measured mixtures in order to accurately judge the finish you'll get. If you mix and spray without some testing you may get what you want but it'll be a crap shoot.

Did you apply the HRF base you wanted, then the clear? Or just some base as a test and then the flattened clear? The base is going to provide a lot of the look you want as well as the top coat.