TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Dip Stick broke off

Default Dip Stick broke off

We just got in a 2007 Kia Sedona Van in and it's hit high and drove the rad. support back and broke off the plastic top of the oil dip stick. Of course as soon as I touched it the stick moved down in the tube about an inch or so. looks like a metal stick with plastic molded on. Any Ideas as to get it out? Thanks all

Default Try...

Quote Originally Posted by tommie.b View Post
    We just got in a 2007 Kia Sedona Van in and it's hit high and drove the rad. support back and broke off the plastic top of the oil dip stick. Of course as soon as I touched it the stick moved down in the tube about an inch or so. looks like a metal stick with plastic molded on. Any Ideas as to get it out? Thanks all
    Not sure where the TUBE enters the engine. But, if the tube is a 'press fit' into the block then you might be able to remove the tube thus access to the stick.

I worked a similar frontend hit a few years back and noticed the bottom of the tube was oil wet. Hell, it was loose. Ended up having to changed the TUBE. Hope you can simply pull out the tube and get the stick.

Henry

Try putting a strong magnet onto the side of a narrow screwdriver and lowering the screwdriver into the tube until it touches the dip stick. It may stick enough to get it to come up enough for you to grab the stick with a pliers.

Bob K

Henry and Bob The tube has a brace in the middle and almost impossible to get at with rad and a/c fans in the way and these are not damaged so at this time don't want to remove them. The top of dip stick that I see is plastic so magnet won't work but thanks .

Break the end off a coping saw blade and stick it down in there. Teeth are sharp and should grab it...also works on broke keys...or a scroll saw blade.

Default Couple other ways...

Henry and Bob The tube has a brace in the middle and almost impossible to get at with rad and a/c fans in the way and these are not damaged so at this time don't want to remove them. The top of dip stick that I see is plastic so magnet won't work but thanks .
    I had fun watching the removal of a broken plastic sticks below:

This one with air that shot the stick out of the hole: (I like this one.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZZNLhqggkA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lexvArLKna8#t=86.22298

Google how to remove and you'll get many ideas.

Let us know.

Henry

Default An update

As Henry recommended I turned the van upside down and rocked it but no dip stick.............................LOL As it turned out a older gentleman stopped in my shop and asked what I was doing. I told him he looked with his glasses then paused for about 5 mins. ( I thought he fell asleep ) he said you have a torch? Yes I do well light it! he then took my small needle nose pliers and heated those cherry red hot and inserted them into the tube and into the plastic top of dip stick and out comes the dip stick. WOW

Default Thanks...

As Henry recommended I turned the van upside down and rocked it but no dip stick.............................LOL As it turned out a older gentleman stopped in my shop and asked what I was doing. I told him he looked with his glasses then paused for about 5 mins. ( I thought he fell asleep ) he said you have a torch? Yes I do well light it! he then took my small needle nose pliers and heated those cherry red hot and inserted them into the tube and into the plastic top of dip stick and out comes the dip stick. WOW
    Only tried to help you, good buddy.

Henry

I know you did and Merry Christmas