bought a beater truck, floor looked great when I slid under - one small pea sized hole near the parking brake cable... pulled the rubber flooring after I bought it - AGGHH!
Had to cut the outer floor from a junkyard donor, no one makes it!? Gotta love battery reciprocating saws. Had to put two patches into the donor outer floor patch panel.
I but welded everything into place, very careful with grinding to keep same thicknesses.
Replacement rocker sux, I had to make a few ridiculous adjustments - with a 2lb hammer and a two slices / bend/ reweld... to shorten some areas. Isn't perfect - if I spent another 4 hours with a blunt chisel I could get it close to stock.. but for a beater it will work just fine.
Pictures for your amusement...
Looks like it's coming along nicely. What year and model truck is it?
2000 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Its a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4.
I forgot to show the front area fit... here it is prior to welding... It was a challenge to get the seams so tight on such a large patch.
Night before I hit it with epoxy primer, and it was the worst orange peel I ever had. I hate spraying in the dark with a trouble light.... Grabbed some 320 this afternoon, put some dish soap and water in a bucket, and was able to knock it down smooth before painting color today.
Got started much earlier today....The omni MTK (single stage urethane) covered in just two coats, I put on another coat for insurance. Had coverage problems with blue before, happy that the white was a completely different experience.
Other than a large leaf that floated down and got stuck in the top of the rocker (paint was just tacky), and it started to rain just as I finished. Good thing it was just a light rain, with no wind. Looked around, quickly grabbed some string and horses and made a cover....
Posting frequency on this forum has really dwindled... wondering where people went?
Yep, rain is just one of many variables painting outside. Sun, wind and bugs can also do some damage.
Visits to the forum varies depending on the time of year. When the weather starts to cool many hobbyists tend to find other hobbies until warm weather returns.
Inner floor is installed... I lapped parts of it... weather was about to go very nasty, so I didn't have time to dress welds and make it pretty, slapped some 3M seam sealer around it and painted it with fast dry rustoleum.
Agreed, Looks like a great repair to me.
Avid collector of rust!
Thanks. I've noticed an important relationship with components on these 2nd generation Dodges, if the seat rails are rusty - the floor is going to be rusty.
I think I want to try a different manufacturer of rocker patches. I wasn't happy with the one I used. Any recommendations? Its a 2000 Dodge Ram standard cab, and I'd need the right rocker. Thankfully, it'll only be a rocker... and perhaps a patch where the rocker attaches, not the nightmare I had on the driver's side.
Two larger problems I found with the driver side rocker:
1. It had a curve along the length, but should have been flat.
2. It didn't match the profile of the original rocker, the first indent should have been tight - it was really wide.
Both of those were hard to work, and I didn't get either problem completely solved - that would have taken me too much time.
Rust is like an iceberg... the part you can see is only 10% of the affected area...
My beater '93 BMW had a rust hole in the driver's side floor, near the rocker, which from underneath appeared to be about 2 inches across. When I pulled the carpet and foam up, this is what I had to remove to cut back to healthy metal!
Look & Find...
Have to tell you that WATER caused that rot. The carpet and padding get wet and held the moisture like a wet sponge. In the beginning the water came in from a leak at the door seals or a window leak. Then, once a tiny hole was created water is forced into the hole while driving on a wet road.
Originally Posted by Charles
If it were my car, I would try to find the leak before you do the repair. You can use a hose or bucket of water. DO NOT aim the water up high at the door as it will be much harder to find where the water is coming in. The right way is to use a hose with a trickle of water at the doors lowest point and work your way up. This will more accurately pinpoint the location of the leak and you may have more than one area. If mine, I would gut the whole interior and get all that foam out. You can then grind any beginning rust areas and treat the metal on the entire floor. Address any pinholes you find BEFORE they turn into another big deal for you.
The other thing after the repair is DON'T put any foam or other water absorbing material back over the floor. Look into "Q" patches that are actually tar pads. Just come back here and someone will guide you and remember, Len can probably get anything you need for a proper repair or it's already in the store.
I never did find a leak although I tried, but when I got the car I replaced the door seal at the bottom. That's most likely where it was coming in. Anyway I couldn't make any water come in. It's patched now and will likely outlast the rest of the car... 321k miles and counting!
I suspect a sloppy install of a previously replaced windshield was leaking under the dash and down into the carpet. Last year I caught a rock and had to get new glass. It leaked onto my left foot in the car wash. Took it back to the body shop... their supposed professional found a void in the urethane sealant - and he just squirted some more into that area. Not surprisingly, it STILL leaked in the car wash. I took it back again and insisted that they remove the windshield again, remove all the sealant, and run an adequate and gap-free bead. Now it doesn't leak!
(Doubt I'm going back there again, but there are few choices in a rural area that don't involve a 2 hour drive (each way). I don't have a lot of faith in Safelite mobile service after reading numerous horror stories...)