TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 3m Trizact 3000 & 1500

Default 3m Trizact 3000 & 1500

I've been reading a lot about how sanding clear coat with a da, instead of hand sanding, is so much quicker. I noticed the disc are really expensive compared to regular paper. I'm just curious about how many discs does it take to sand a whole car? Say I start with 1500 to remove the orange peel, then go to 3000. The car is a 72 Mustang. Also, I take it that you can sand either wet or dry? The Trizact p/n I'm talking about is 02088 and 02085. I'm just wondering if it's worth the added cost. Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by 73429mach View Post
    I've been reading a lot about how sanding clear coat with a da, instead of hand sanding, is so much quicker. I noticed the disc are really expensive compared to regular paper. I'm just curious about how many discs does it take to sand a whole car? Say I start with 1500 to remove the orange peel, then go to 3000. The car is a 72 Mustang. Also, I take it that you can sand either wet or dry? The Trizact p/n I'm talking about is 02088 and 02085. I'm just wondering if it's worth the added cost. Ryan
    Those disks are used wet. Depending on how bad the peel is you could go through one or two of the 1500 disks per panel, ten disks should be plenty for most jobs. After the 1500 you should be able to do the entire car with five of the 3000 grit disks. This is normally the hardest part of most paint jobs and these disks make it a lot easier.

I've found that the 3000's last for a while and can normally do one with around 3. I guess it depends on the type of clear and how hard/soft it is.

Default I start by hand

with my first cut/s then switch to 1500 and the machine after that. I never need to go beyond 3000 because the rotary will eat the scratch for breakfast.

I like to take the time with the first cut because I think that's the one that defines the way the job will ultimately finish - the distinctness of image, flatness...

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    with my first cut/s then switch to 1500 and the machine after that. I never need to go beyond 3000 because the rotary will eat the scratch for breakfast.

I like to take the time with the first cut because I think that's the one that defines the way the job will ultimately finish - the distinctness of image, flatness...

Robert
    What grit are you starting with when you're sanding your first cut by hand?

This is my personal truck.

Left side was wet sanded by hand with 800, then 1000 then with 15000 and 3000 on DA. Right side is out of the gun. You can see how much clearer the light is on the left.

Well, I tried the 1500/3000 trizact with an air vantage da. I didn't have very good results. I got a lot of pig tail sanding scratches. I'm probably not doing something right. I ended up hand sanding with 1500/2500/3000, cut and buff with a wool pad with wizards mystic cut. Turned out very well. Would going with a foam pad and the wizards refine the finish more or should I go with some kind of polishing compound? Thanks, Ryan

Did you use 1500 Trizact clear coat sanding discs and enough flowing water to prevent pilling on the disc or did you use 1500 finish film dry? I've always had good results with the wet Trizact discs but I very quickly get pilling when using finish film dry. If I use finish film I use up a lot of discs. You can see the pilling marks in the sanding dust if you use finish film. I wipe the disc clean on a cotton towel once with the sander running but the pilling returns soon, then it's time for a new dry disc. If you keep sanding when the pilling starts you get marks in the clear coat.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Did you use 1500 Trizact clear coat sanding discs and enough flowing water to prevent pilling on the disc or did you use 1500 finish film dry? I've always had good results with the wet Trizact discs but I very quickly get pilling when using finish film dry. If I use finish film I use up a lot of discs. You can see the pilling marks in the sanding dust if you use finish film. I wipe the disc clean on a cotton towel once with the sander running but the pilling returns soon, then it's time for a new dry disc. If you keep sanding when the pilling starts you get marks in the clear coat.

Bob K
    Yes, I used the trizact clear coat discs, had plenty of water not to much so it hydroplaned, cleaned disc and even switched it out probably before I should of. I'm new to sanding clear with a da. I think I'll stick with sanding by hand for now, it will take twice as long but that seems to be the only way I'm getting good results. I do appreciate everyone's advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 73429mach View Post
    Yes, I used the trizact clear coat discs, had plenty of water not to much so it hydroplaned, cleaned disc and even switched it out probably before I should of. I'm new to sanding clear with a da. I think I'll stick with sanding by hand for now, it will take twice as long but that seems to be the only way I'm getting good results. I do appreciate everyone's advice.
    If you have dust/dirt in the paint before you start sanding the sander will pick it up and make pig tail scratches in your new paint job. You can either take out the dust nibs by hand THEN sand with the AirVantage or use a lot of water so that you're constantly flushing the debris out from under the sander. Once you conquer the variables you'll never go back to hand sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If you have dust/dirt in the paint before you start sanding the sander will pick it up and make pig tail scratches in your new paint job. You can either take out the dust nibs by hand THEN sand with the AirVantage or use a lot of water so that you're constantly flushing the debris out from under the sander. Once you conquer the variables you'll never go back to hand sanding.
    I agree with Len that once you start using finishing discs or trizact disks you will never stand by hand again. Are used 1500 dry and tries act 3000 wet and I will use about 2 to 3 dry disks per panel and one brand-new trizact 3000 disk for a whole car. I like to dry sand with the 1500 because it's easy to tell when you eliminated orange peel