TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Footwear for painters

Default Footwear for painters

Hey everybody! I'm trying to figure out what, if any, kind of shoes to buy. I just got back into painting again after 20 years. It's been a year and a half now. I bought some shoes that are water proof and I figured they'd be fine but now they're totally falling apart. I don't know if it's the paint or the water that I put on the floor but they were $100 and it stinks that I need to buy more. So I thought I'd see if anyone has any particular preferences. I did a quick online search and I don't see any that are actually made for painters so any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Hey everybody! I'm trying to figure out what, if any, kind of shoes to buy. I just got back into painting again after 20 years. It's been a year and a half now. I bought some shoes that are water proof and I figured they'd be fine but now they're totally falling apart. I don't know if it's the paint or the water that I put on the floor but they were $100 and it stinks that I need to buy more. So I thought I'd see if anyone has any particular preferences. I did a quick online search and I don't see any that are actually made for painters so any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!
    I use standard work shoes or athletic shoes. If I want them to stay clean is use covers like the ones shown below. I don't have problems with water because I only dampen the flood, no puddles.

Yeah, I don't know if it's the water or the paint. I try to put as little water down as possible but there is one area that it tends to puddle up. I spent $100 on the Timberland waterproof shoes and they're literally falling apart. I considered using the booties too. Maybe that's what I'll end up doing. I guess I'll just find something that's comfortable and try again. One of the guys I work with thinks its the paint. I don't know. We use waterborne so I would doubt it but maybe the clear would make them deteriorate. Anyway, thanks for the response!

i usually dampen the floor only on most jobs but on occasion, i wash the walls down and i create some puddles....i use waterborne and puddles and water dont mix, u gotta be extra carefull not to splash it on the painting panels, even when walking and lifting your feet or dropping the air hose on the floor...

i wear my quality safety boots with real leather and waterproof , no issues there, or i use these in the winter time, it is cold anyway......

http://www.kamik.com/b2c_ca_en/men/m...ker-23011.html

typicalcarguy Guest

I only get about 4-6 months out of a pair before they are worn out.I have a steel grated floor in my booth and the souls are like drag slicks after a few months.The paint and overspray are pretty hard on them.I have had good luck with wolverine,keens,HI-tec etc.I have been tempted to buy a pair of redwings but have a hard time spending $300 for a pair of boots that will be trashed in no time flat.Just the nature of the beast.

On a sorta related note. What do you guys do with your hoses? Do you clean them after every use? From a post we had a while back about hoses, I bought a flexzilla & love it. But now its getting paint barnacles on it where the hose drags through the water & paint clings. Builds up over time & gets kinda nasty. For whatever reason the flexilla hose it is much harder to get off than traditional rubber hoses.

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    i usually dampen the floor only on most jobs but on occasion, i wash the walls down and i create some puddles....i use waterborne and puddles and water dont mix, u gotta be extra carefull not to splash it on the painting panels, even when walking and lifting your feet or dropping the air hose on the floor...

i wear my quality safety boots with real leather and waterproof , no issues there, or i use these in the winter time, it is cold anyway......

http://www.kamik.com/b2c_ca_en/men/m...ker-23011.html

So I clicked on your link & this is the first thing that shows on the site. Made me chuckle as I couldn't help but picture somebody painting in these boots. I know its not what you intended, but that was pretty funny.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hehehe, no that is not what i intended for footwear....someone might wear those for candy paint work occasionally....

@typicalcarguy, i like 8 inch Kodiak Quantum work boots from Canadian Tire , on sale they run for $79 in, they are metal free , composite and very very durable and comfortable for the winter and all around...I find that a great deal...

@68ragtop, i also have 50 feet of 3/8 inch flexilla hose in my spray booth and 1/2 inch in my shop....the best air hose i have every used.....Yes, i always wipe my hose clean before every job with rag sprayed with thinner...

i dont have any issues with build up of paint over it, it seems still very clean for about year of use....

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post

@68ragtop, i also have 50 feet of 3/8 inch flexilla hose in my spray booth and 1/2 inch in my shop....the best air hose i have every used.....Yes, i always wipe my hose clean before every job with rag sprayed with thinner...

i dont have any issues with build up of paint over it, it seems still very clean for about year of use....
    It only happens when I do a complete with a lot of water on the floor. The overspray seems to float in the water & cling to the hose.
    Last time I was beat tired at the end of the day & didn't clean the hose. Big mistake. Paint barnacles were non removable the next day. Oooops.

I've had good luck finding blem RedWings (search for Red Wing factory seconds) for about 1/2 price. I haven't bought any in a few years as I don't do nearly as much as I used to, but it was pretty nice buying a good pair of boots that I knew I could get my money's worth out of.

-SamG

The tactical boot is a special category of boot that is designed from the ground up to provide a high level of performance and protection for your feet in challenging environments and tough conditions. These combat boots needed to be durable enough to stand up to the intense wear and tear of active duty, while at the same time giving the wearer’s feet and ankles enough flexibility.
    Last edited by Stephen111; 07-26-2021 at 07:38 AM.

The one thing that has helped me the most is using a good set of arch supports.
    I got mine from "The Good Feet Store", expensive but worth it.
    It took away my back pain and foot pain

I only use water in my booth, mixed with soap, for general cleaning. On my floors and walls just prior to spraying I only use a 3M dust control product. Wetting the floors just prior to spraying is common place in this industry but I prefer a product that seals and traps particulates and is easy clean up with no chance of water splashing up on my surface. I love this product.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...egory_Code=PSH

For shoes I have been using Skechers for years and won't change as long as they keep making them. Pic shows my shoes after 2-1/2 years with another pair I keep on hand when these wear out. I use them daily in the shop, metal work, welding, painting, etc

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YNI2WAG...ter_B00ST7WKPY
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ronf; 07-22-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    I only use water in my booth, mixed with soap, for general cleaning. On my floors and walls just prior to spraying I only use a 3M dust control product. Wetting the floors just prior to spraying is common place in this industry but I prefer a product that seals and traps particulates and is easy clean up with no chance of water splashing up on my surface. I love this product.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...egory_Code=PSH

For shoes I have been using Skechers for years and won't change as long as they keep making them. Pic shows my shoes after 2-1/2 years with another pair I keep on hand when these wear out. I use them daily in the shop, metal work, welding, painting, etc

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Wow Ron, that's exactly what I use Sketchers water proof boots. I started wearing them a couple years ago and now I'm on my third pair.

Quote Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
    On a sorta related note. What do you guys do with your hoses? Do you clean them after every use? From a post we had a while back about hoses, I bought a flexzilla & love it. But now its getting paint barnacles on it where the hose drags through the water & paint clings. Builds up over time & gets kinda nasty. For whatever reason the flexilla hose it is much harder to get off than traditional rubber hoses.
    I keep and store my used tack cloths in a gallon zip lock bag that are meant for hose and my mixing counter in the booth. Before, sometimes during (full sprays only) and after spraying I will run a handful of these used tack cloths over my hose. Absolutely minimal build up on hose and I use a custom cut flexilla hose like you. I love that hose!