TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Gel coat alternative?

Default Gel coat alternative?

This is probably a dumb question, but oh well.

Say you have a bass boat, and the gel coat is pretty much gone from the top of the boat. That area that surrounds the deck that you walk on. Usually its the most colorful spot on the boat, and typically they've painted it with some kind of glitter paint. On top of that (among other places) is the gel coat, as I'm sure you all know.

I was wondering if that could be sanded down, and then repainted just using car paint. Guess it wouldn't be such a good idea, since car paint would probably not take the same abuse that a gel coat would. Then again, who knows. Maybe its about the same when it comes to toughness. Anyway, is there any reason why you wouldn't do that?

Or, is it easy enough to spray a new gel coat? Just something I've been wondering about.

you really can paint it with anything you want. on my boat i use awlgrip. it's a similar paint to imron. really tough but you can't blend repair it down the road. use a good quality epoxy primer first for proper adhesion.
    i know other boat owners have used car paint too. single stage or base/clear. or, some use simple paints like easypoxy by pettit. all depends on how much you want to spend and how long you expect the finish to last.
    b marler