TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Spray suits for spraying Isocyanates

Default Spray suits for spraying Isocyanates

I am getting ready to spray paint a car using PPG Concepts paint which has Isocyanates in the harder. I have a fresh air hood with a Hobby Air turbine but I need to buy a spray suit. I have been getting a LOT of information but no one wants to give me a recommendation as to what suit to buy! I also have a home made spray booth that seems to work pretty well.

Also--- when I am mixing the paint what precautions do I need to take???

Can anyone lead me in the right direction?????

Quote Originally Posted by 454 View Post
    I am getting ready to spray paint a car using PPG Concepts paint which has Isocyanates in the harder. I have a fresh air hood with a Hobby Air turbine but I need to buy a spray suit. I have been getting a LOT of information but no one wants to give me a recommendation as to what suit to buy! I also have a home made spray booth that seems to work pretty well.

Also--- when I am mixing the paint what precautions do I need to take???

Can anyone lead me in the right direction?????
    I've been using two different types of suits, a Spray Guard and SAS. I prefer the Spray Guard because it doesn't bind when I bend and crouch and it has pockets in the right places.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I've been using two different types of suits, a Spray Guard and SAS. I prefer the Spray Guard because it doesn't bind when I bend and crouch and it has pockets in the right places.

And do both of these protect from Isocyanates???

Also--what do I need to wear when mixing the paint???

When mixing paint I typically wear my supplier air breathing system. Once you start combining products you start the reaction.

Now regarding the suit for ISO absorption I'm not sure. I was thinking Eyes, nose, mouth were main entry points. I'm not sure about skin absorption.
    Avid collector of rust!

Quote Originally Posted by junk View Post
    When mixing paint I typically wear my supplier air breathing system. Once you start combining products you start the reaction.

Now regarding the suit for ISO absorption I'm not sure. I was thinking Eyes, nose, mouth were main entry points. I'm not sure about skin absorption.
    I don't know about absorption of Isos through the skin but I do know that strong solvents like lacquer thinner get absorbed through the skin. Nitril gloves allow solvent through to the skin while vinyl and latex gloves will protect you. We use nitril gloves for mechanical and body work but use latex in the paint shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I don't know about absorption of Isos through the skin but I do know that strong solvents like lacquer thinner get absorbed through the skin. Nitril gloves allow solvent through to the skin while vinyl and latex gloves will protect you. We use nitrile gloves for mechanical and body work but use latex in the paint shop.
    The California Department of Public Health disagrees on using latex for isocyanate use. I do know nitrile will fall apart when expose to lacquer thinner.

"Use gloves made from neoprene, nitrile, or butyl rubber"

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/hesis/Documents/iso.pdf

Also bodyshopbusiness had this to say:

"Clearcoat (mixtures) formulations have the highest amounts of isocyanates. About 85% of shops reported that their painters wear gloves while shooting clearcoats. However, about half said they use latex gloves. The survey found that many production employees prefer latex gloves because they say they’re more comfortable and flexible than nitrile. However, recent data suggests that isocyanates pass through latex gloves without any visible damage to the glove, even after a single painting session. Nitrile — used by 40% of shops — is a much better choice
    of glove."

http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/your...kin-your-life/

Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    The California Department of Public Health disagrees on using latex for isocyanate use. I do know nitrile will fall apart when expose to lacquer thinner.

"Use gloves made from neoprene, nitrile, or butyl rubber"

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/hesis/Documents/iso.pdf

Also bodyshopbusiness had this to say:

"Clearcoat (mixtures) formulations have the highest amounts of isocyanates. About 85% of shops reported that their painters wear gloves while shooting clearcoats. However, about half said they use latex gloves. The survey found that many production employees prefer latex gloves because they say they’re more comfortable and flexible than nitrile. However, recent data suggests that isocyanates pass through latex gloves without any visible damage to the glove, even after a single painting session. Nitrile — used by 40% of shops — is a much better choice
    of glove."

http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/your...kin-your-life/
    So nitril is better for isos and latex is better for thinner but both are used in most paint shops.