TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Possibly a dumb candy question...

Default Possibly a dumb candy question...

Ok, I've done a couple "simple" candy jobs but never anything layered. I'm trying to get an effect with layering my candy but I'm not sure what to use or how to go about this. I'm using hok uk09 organic green over orion silver (Candy after graphics). My question is how do I go about getting the lighter borders like in the pic below? I want it all green candy with art underneath but bordered with different shades...

Any ideas?

Many thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Timber0472; 09-09-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Default DUMB QUESTIONS...

Quote Originally Posted by Timber0472 View Post
    Ok, I've done a couple "simple" candy jobs but never anything layered. I'm trying to get an effect with layering my candy but I'm not sure what to use or how to go about this. I'm using hok uk09 organic green over orion silver (Candy after graphics). My question is how do I go about getting the lighter borders like in the pic below? I want it all green candy with art underneath but bordered with different shades...

Any ideas?

Many thanks!!
    Let me interject this for you and any others:

"The only 'DUMB' question is the one that was NOT asked!"

WELCOME too, to the best site on the net. People here do care about what all of us members are doing.

Others will chime in with a reply to your original question.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Let me interject this for you and any others:

"The only 'DUMB' question is the one that was NOT asked!"

WELCOME too, to the best site on the net. People here do care about what all of us members are doing.

Others will chime in with a reply to your original question.

Henry
    Thank you, much appreciated!

Any ideas?

Many thanks!!
    I would think that it's all in the masking. Apply your base and first coat of candy then mask off the areas that you want lighter then spray another coat or two of candy then unmask and clear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I would think that it's all in the masking. Apply your base and first coat of candy then mask off the areas that you want lighter then spray another coat or two of candy then unmask and clear it.
    That sounds logical. I know u can use diff color bases to achieve tones...like black or white but u can see flake below that one. So what your saying makes since.
    How long does candy have to sit before taping? Do I have to top coat multiple layers in order to mask it?
    Thanks for the input.

That sounds logical. I know u can use diff color bases to achieve tones...like black or white but u can see flake below that one. So what your saying makes since.
    How long does candy have to sit before taping? Do I have to top coat multiple layers in order to mask it?
    Thanks for the input.
    If the candy takes a hardener you can probably mask on it the next day if it's kept warm so that it hardens reasonably quickly. If necessary you could use an intercoat clear but that's probably not necessary if the candy uses a hardener.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If the candy takes a hardener you can probably mask on it the next day if it's kept warm so that it hardens reasonably quickly. If necessary you could use an intercoat clear but that's probably not necessary if the candy uses a hardener.
    The candy does use a hardener but I think it has to be cleared within 12 hrs....

Most likely too late now but you should be using KK in SG100 and not UK for complex artwork. After which, just clear the job. I don't like SG100 and neither do other custom painters as it I can bite you. That tank can be completed using PPG Vibrance or their competition. HOK does not own the custom paint world.

Back to the original question --- Use a LOT of tape.

First let me make this clear, I am not a custom painter, painted thousands of gallons of paint, clear and primers but hardly a drip of "custom."

That being said, I couldn't paint that gas tank to save my life, unless, I had a sample in front of me. That changes everything. If you see this tank in person and analyze it, and then had a tank next to it in your garage that you were painting, you could pull it off. Next time you see something painted like this go up and analyze it and you will quickly see what was painted first, what was left masked up for two or three colors, where tape was applied over some tape after an application of color and then some other color was applied and then removed before the next one. That is all that was done there, tape was applied colors shot and tape removed. The trick is when it's done.

If you look at one in person you can see where this was done and get the idea. Of course, now there is youtube. LOLOL Here is a cool video that shows it getting done sped up so you don't get bored. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzXPd9TlRzk

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Here's a "before" picture of one that we did and posted on the Autobodystore Facebook page. The steps in the process can be seen there.