TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Painting a Plastic Canoe

Default Painting a Plastic Canoe

I realize this is a little off-topic, but is there a way to paint a plastic canoe? I am an avid duck hunter and want to change my red canoe to something a little more stealthy. I do not want to $200+ in adhesive camo sheets. Thanks.

Default $200?

To paint it using a process and materials that will stay on the surface and hold up it would cost a lot more than $200. A decent urethane with flex additive, hardener and reducer is probably going to cost $300+. Add adhesion promoter, sandpaper etc. you could have $400 or more it it.

Long ago when I hunted I painted my canoe with latex house paint for the same reason as you .Held up great and looked pretty good. Of course being a duck hunter you do know to use flat latex. Mooch

Default Krylon

What you might want to try, is just using an assortment of spray can paint and primers, specifically designed for adhesion to plastic.

I believe it was Krylon (for plastic) that I used w/ success, that I got from Home Depot.

I've broken in half (and re-pieced together), my favorite surfboard (started at 10', and now's 8 1/2') 4 seperate times. I finally got tired of looking at the transitions from repairs and water discoloration, so I opted for some of this spray can paint.

I'm surprised at how well it has adhered, and is a bit resistant to light scuffing...I figure, it was the color I wanted, and cheap enough. The key, in any case, is getting the substrate clean (I used plenty of wax and grease remover, to ensure all was clean, then scuffed off all the gloss...primed it and painted, and allowed plenty of time to harden...holds up fine).

Now, sure, hardened urethane will technically be more durable over all...but consider the parts that'll inevitably see the most wear, like the bottom when coming in or out, and no matter what is used for paint, it's not going to resist that sort of abuse for long anyway (but, considering that it's below the waterline, not so big an issue).

Also figure, that whatever applique or paint is used on the sides, there'll eventually be the inevitable snag on something that removes a few layers, but even then, so what, you'll just have a thin red line.

I would just opt for getting creative w/ several cans of the "made for plastic" 1k spray can enamel, and make the best of it...it'll provide you w/ the stealth you need, and certainly wont break the bank...plus you'll have the sense of accomplishment of cammoing it out yourself freehand.

Long ago when I hunted I painted my canoe with latex house paint for the same reason as you .Held up great and looked pretty good. Of course being a duck hunter you do know to use flat latex. Mooch

Default Plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Mooch
    Mooch
    Was that a plastic boat? How did you prep it?

It was a fiberglass canoe Len. Only prep I did was to sand it a little as I was in a hurry to get hunting. It wasn't the right way but it did hold up.

I wouldn't do it on a pleasure craft but this is just a duck boat. Mooch

Default Thanks to all

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I will try the Krylon. Thanks again.